Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read about using Ziploc bags when you are using the Kindle around water.  So after a heavy day of spring cleaning, I headed off to soak in the tub.  I decided that because I was tired, I was not willing to take a chance, so I got a Ziploc and off I went.  Well the bath was uneventful, but when I was getting out and grabbing the towel, it knocked my Kindle off the vanity.  I swear it went in slow motion and I skipped a heartbeat as I watched the Kindle go sliding off (we have tile floors).  At the last second I managed to slap my hand down on literally the last two inches of Ziploc that hadn't disappeared over the edge.  Kindle was saved. 

I now have a spasming muscle in my neck on that side from that wonderful save, but it will heal.  I just thought it was pretty ironic, the Ziploc saved the Kindle, just not in the manner I expected.  :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Gonna keep a box of zip locks in the tub room?  ;D  If I had a tub I sure would  ::)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Does anyone know of anything that would really be very water resistant for the Kindle. Next summer if I try reading by the pool it could get severely splashed.

Steve

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I under that M-edge has a case for outdoors.  Not sure if it's completely water resistant. 

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
The M-edge case is not waterproof. Ziplocks are not a bad solution, but there's a waterproof case that several people, including me, have purchased. Give me a sec.

Here's the one I got:

Betsy

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Wonder if the muscle spasm is from the speed you had to move for your save or tensing up at the thought of your beloved kindle hitting the floor?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Betsy,

What is that brand on the plastic bag?  I would be interested in that.  I don't think the Ziploc will stop water but for a couple of seconds, hopefully long enough to fish it out and keep it floating if accidentally dropped.  I read somewhere that someone had bought a bag made for electronics but the reading quality was diminished--how is that one? 

·
Registered
947 Posts
Diana said:
I don't think the Ziploc will stop water but for a couple of seconds, hopefully long enough to fish it out and keep it floating if accidentally dropped.
What would make you think that? The whole raison d'être of Ziploc bags is to be watertight. If they're not, they're useless. And sure enough, I've used them thousands of times over the years to keep liquids inside (like chili) or outside (like thawing chicken in water). Never once had a leak unless I didn't actually close the thing.

Works the same way for the Kindle as it does for food--keeps water out completely.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
geko29 said:
What would make you think that? The whole raison d'être of Ziploc bags is to be watertight. If they're not, they're useless. And sure enough, I've used them thousands of times over the years to keep liquids inside (like chili) or outside (like thawing chicken in water). Never once had a leak unless I didn't actually close the thing.

Works the same way for the Kindle as it does for food--keeps water out completely.
I have had them leak on more than one occasion--even though they were sealed. The corners aren't always up to par.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Diana -- I believe you've just given the Ziploc ad people the next creative for their ad campaign! 

Sorry to hear about your muscle spasm, but great save  :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Diana said:
So after a heavy day of spring cleaning, I headed off to soak in the tub.
SPRING CLEANING... Where to you SPRING CLEAN in Early January!!!

Jim (digging out (again) in Buffalo)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm paranoid, so I always double up on ziploc bags. It makes it a little harder to read, so I just make the font size one bigger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts