Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else saving up to get their Kindle?  I'm about a month away from ordering, and with the 3-4 week wait, I won't have one in my hot little hands until the first of the year.

So ... how do I pass the time?  I've already read all the FAQ.  I already check this board daily as well as the Amazon Discussion Group daily.  Help ... the time is moving soooooo sloooowwwwlllllyyyyy.

Do you know any good "Kindle Anticipation" therapists? 

·
Registered
205 Posts
LOL - I did the exact same thing!  I knew I was getting a bonus at work on a certain date and that I was going to use it for buying the Kindle plus a bunch of books, but it was A-G-O-N-Y waiting to just order the darn thing.  So I kindled vicariously by reading every post on Amazon and then here.  Then there was the agonizing wait for it to arrive.  But you might be lucky, by the time you order they may be caught up with all the Oprah orders so the turn-around to ship might be a lot less.  *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd suggest you finish up reading any dead tree books you may have on your bookshelves. You don't want to have to post "I have an unread book, but now I want to read it on my Kindle."

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think we can all act as your Kindle anticipation therapists, Bruin! These boards are busy enough to cut into my Kindle reading time...LOL. We'll help you out.

L

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Thats what I had to do, save up my money so I could buy it. I kept watching the Oprah discount go bye bye, then I had to watch the ship time go from a few days to 3-4 weeks  :eek:. I finally was able to order yesterday. The waiting to order was killing me and now I am in a new place of agony waiting to get it shipped.  :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'll bet everyone here can relate to your pain.  I've been waiting since FEBRUARY, my Kindle will finally be here today!  YAY!  I did the same thing you are doing, haunted the Amazon forums then found this forum which is quickly becoming home.  We'll be so excited for you when you place your order, then you'll be here every minute until the UPS truck pulls up.  After that we may not see you for a while.  ;D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I'm another day closer to ordering a Kindle.  I'm one day closer to getting my Kindle from UPS ... one day at a time ... one day at a time ... are their any 12 Step Groups in Omaha for Kindle folk?

Until then, keep posting you all about your experiences.  I can live vicariously.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Bruinboy said:
OK, I'm another day closer to ordering a Kindle. I'm one day closer to getting my Kindle from UPS ... one day at a time ... one day at a time ... are their any 12 Step Groups in Omaha for Kindle folk?

Until then, keep posting you all about your experiences. I can live vicariously.
Bruinboy, take it one day at a time LOL

Yes, just keep reading the boards, we will be your 'Kindle Therapists' yikes, you might want to think twice on that one ;)
We know how hard the wait was/is for our Kindles to arrive. I hope it gets to you a lot sooner than expected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Form me, reading Kindle boards would just make me more frustrated about the wait and anxious for my Kindle.  When I was waiting for mine to arrive I did all I could do to not think about it.   

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I were you I would start looking around the house for anything and everything that can be SOLD.
That's how I got mine! Sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay. That and an early Chistmas gift from the inlaws, and the Oprah discount!!

If you MUST wait, I agree with a PP that said read all your dead tree books. I was in the middle of a book when my girl arrived. I had to stay up all night reading my book, cause I knew I would never finsih it otherwise.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the idea of selling stuff off ... I wonder if my wife really needs all those shoes in her closet ::)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Bruinboy said:
I like the idea of selling stuff off ... I wonder if my wife really needs all those shoes in her closet ::)
That sounds like my husband. He decides he wants to clean out the attic and all the stuff he chooses to get rid of is MINE. Meanwhile, the pile of his possessions hasn't shrunk a bit....

If you sell your wife's shoes, the money should go to her Kindle fund. We've already discussed the fact that Kindles are unshareable and as soon as she sees yours, she'll want one. Trust me on this... ;)

L

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Bruinboy said:
That is soooo mean Bruinboy! A girl and her shoes, purses, belts, jewlery....ect...are not easily parted!

Hubby wants a new rifle for Christmas, he asked me last night if I object to him buying one (over a thousand dollars).
I thought for a minute, thought of ALL the Kindle Books AND Accessories I could start buying so we both spent the same amount for Christmas,
and said 'sure honey, go ahead'.

He better not complain one bit for any of my KinKin purchases for quite a while now!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Welcome Bruinboy!!  Glad to have you with us!!  These boards are a great way to pass the time until you get your Kindle.  If you're near Omaha.... maybe you could line up some jobs shoveling sidewalks for people to pick up a little more $$.  Snow in the forecast for tonight. (Just kidding.... that's back breaking work!!)  I actually had to save for 8 months (limited income) before I was able to order my Kindle.  The one thing I can promise you.... is that it's worth the wait!!  Once you have your Kindle.... you'll never question your decision!  One thing I did while waiting... other than reading the discussions and learning as much as I possibly could about the Kindle.... was to create a spreadsheet for the books I wanted to get for my Kindle.  I made a column with the Amazon prices for my books and then saved enough $$ to buy my "must have books" when I ordered my Kindle.  You can also start going to sites like feedbooks.com and manybooks.com and download free books onto your computer in the Kindle format.  I then saved them on an SD memory card and can transfer them onto my Kindle to read whenever I want.  It's great to have the classics if you're interested in them at all.... especially for free.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
You can also start going to sites like feedbooks.com and manybooks.com and download free books onto your computer in the Kindle format. I then saved them on an SD memory card and can transfer them onto my Kindle to read whenever I want. It's great to have the classics if you're interested in them at all.... especially for free.
That is a great idea PraiseGod13.

At least you are doing something for your kindle while you wait for it. Then you know that when kindle arrives, you will have a lot of free books alread loaded onto the card to pop in and read.

See, that is why we need to keep reading the boards, lots of clever ideas to be found here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts