Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never seen another person with a Kindle before today, except when I was introduced to Kindle by my sister-in-law in May, 2008.  I had finished a workout at the gym (reading my Kindle 2 on the treadmill with text-to-speech!) and went outside to take a dip in the pool.  While in the water, I spotted an elderly gentleman sitting in a lounge reading a Kindle.  I couldn't see which model from that distance.  I swam over to that side of the pool and said, "Excuse me, is that a Kindle?  Do you have 1 or 2?"  It was a K1.  I told him I had that one and just got K2 a couple of weeks ago.  He asked if it was that much different and I said I would show it to him when I got out.

A little later, I got out of the pool and settled down for a good read.  I noticed he had ordered lunch so I didn't want to disturb him.  (I'm nothing if not a polite Kindler.)  :)  I waited until he was finished and took my Kindle over to show him (in her DeCalGirl Starry Night skin and Purple Oberon ROH cover, mind you!).  I was so happy to show her off.  I had demoed Kindle 1 many times but never got to show a K2 to a K1 owner.  I showed him all the features like text to speech and adjusting the line spacing.  I let him hold it out of the cover and he liked the size and weight of it.  He also liked how it's almost impossible to accidentally turn a page with the new buttons.

His Kindle 1 was in the original Amazon cover and he complained that it kept falling out when he tipped it forward.  I showed him my Oberon and, of course, told him about M-edge.

I notice that what he was reading on his K1 was in full justification with large spaces between the words.  I told him he didn't have to read his book with all those spaces and showed him how to choose left justification.  He was amazed at that!  It made me wonder how many Kindle owners there are out there who just love to read and don't even know all the features of their Kindles but are happy as clams anyway.  That's not me.  I seem to need to know everything about everything I'm involved in.  But, to each his own.

Of course, I told him that if there were ever a question he had about Kindles, he should come to Kindleboards.com.

When I returned to my lounge, my husband grinned at me, shook his head and said, "You just really loved that, didn't you?"

Yep, that's my idea of fun!  It was a good day and I'm a happy Kindle Enabler.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Great post...thanks for sharing.
deb

·
Registered
599 Posts
What a cool story! I have yet to see another Kindle in the wild.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I have yet to see one in the wild myself and yet, people who have asked me about mine know about the Kindle but hadn't seen one until they laid eyes on mine.

Thanks for sharing your story :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Good job DD, steering him to KindleBoards, I know that is how I know as much about the Kindle as I do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I saw one on my cruise last week!  A lady was walking around inside in her bathing suit and coverup with a naked K2  :eek:, a bottle sunblock, and her room key.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Great story; I've seen a few other people with Kindles, but it's pretty rare, and I didn't really have an opportunity to speak with them on any occasion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know you can change linespacing on K2 but can you alter the justification settings?  havent found anything that worked on K2 to do it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Tranquil Ape said:
I know you can change linespacing on K2 but can you alter the justification settings? havent found anything that worked on K2 to do it.
Unfortunately, no. I am really disappointed that they got rid of this feature.

L

·
Registered
556 Posts
DD said:
I notice that what he was reading on his K1 was in full justification with large spaces between the words. I told him he didn't have to read his book with all those spaces and showed him how to choose left justification. He was amazed at that! It made me wonder how many Kindle owners there are out there who just love to read and don't even know all the features of their Kindles but are happy as clams anyway.
:-[ I just got mine so hopefully I get a bye for not knowing this - HOW do you turn off full justification?????

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pawsplus said:
:-[ I just got mine so hopefully I get a bye for not knowing this - HOW do you turn off full justification?????
On the K1, bring up the font menu then press Alt-J. That will add Left Justification and Full Justification as choices at the bottom of the menu. Choose left and you should be all set.

Note: not all books allow you to change the justification. Even if you choose "Left" is may still remain as fully justified.

L

·
Registered
556 Posts
MaineWriter said:
On the K1, bring up the font menu then press Alt-J. That will add Left Justification and Full Justification as choices at the bottom of the menu. Choose left and you should be all set.
THANKS!!! :)

Just tried it and it WORKED! YAY!! I hate full justification!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pawsplus said:
THANKS!!! :)

Just tried it and it WORKED! YAY!! I hate full justification!
That man in my OP had the same reaction! :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks, didn't know you had to go to font, been trying alt j and it never would work  :-\

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I had demo'ed a kindle to a Canadian friend here, she saw one in the wild when she and her husband were having breakfast, when she mentioned it the guy heard her and promptly demoed it.  Outcome is they have relatives in the US and plan on visiting in May - ordering a kindle as soon as they get back to Canada.  Apparently there are a few kindles down here as snow kindles, I have not seen but one that I didn't already know about.  :mad:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts