Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have talked about this before but here is quick recap:

I have a YA written in verse with my lit agent. There is a big pub house interested but its been 9 months now and no word. My agent "pokes" them all the time and they say " it's really busy right now" again, 9 months.
I made myself focus on book 4 of my YA series while I waited but I'm done with it and am headed to book 5.

This whole trad pub feels dead in the water. I don't want to stay longer than I have already interns of waiting for trad pub. But this YA is so important to me and its a stand alone book. It can be a series but for now
It's only one book. I'm worried that I won't know how to market just a single book. I'm thinking of putting up a free preview on select. I'm doing well with my YA fantasy but I'm nervous about taking a chance with This YA. Someone tell me they have a great stand alone novel about teen issues and its doing well. And how did that happen?

Why am I so nervous about this? :-\

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I have no deals myself, but I think 9 months sounds like it's dead.

Start prepping the cover and doing the final edit or formatting. Write the blurb. Get ready. See how that feels. Ask your fans what they think. Take a small step now. It's not up until you hit that button, and if you prep everything, you'll know.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
My advice:  put the book out there and don't market it at all.

My first indie novel was technically a part of a series, but when I worked with agents on it, both advised me to try to sell it as a stand-alone with series potential, so it was rewritten to be a fully self-contained story.  That's how I self-published it.  I didn't market it one bit, except to put up a quick post on Goodreads when it had a few rare free days, and it found an eager audience and sold really well, so now I'm releasing the rest of the series.  My second indie novel (different pen name) is a stand-alone with no series potential.  It's still pretty new, but it also sells regularly (about 50 copies per month three months out, which is better than the first book's monthly sales three months after its release).

People are interested in stand-alones.  You don't have to do anything to promote it.  Readers who like your series will check it out even though it's not a series, too.  And new readers will find it as well.

Just make sure you edit it really well.  You'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you guys are right. Maybe I will take small steps...get cover
That's hard enough.lol

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

So it's one, I'm just going to have to self pub. I'm done waiting for trad pub.
Well, here goes nothing....
:-|

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed her before I wrote the post:)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm feeling so many things...I know self pub has been amazing for me.
But this was my last chance at trad pub and well...
It stings a little
Wine.need wine. And a good blurb (post about which blurb is best coming soon)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just do it. It's so easy to let the emotional part take over. Be a business person. Polish up the product and put it out there. Produce the next product. I think it's important to remember to keep artist-you and business-you straight, and know when artist-you needs to go sit down and have a glass of wine or something and let business-you take over and put a stop to the, well, feeling all the time. Believe in your story. Sell it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Unless you never plan to write another book, this isn't your last chance to sell to a traditional publisher.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
John Daulton said:
Just do it. It's so easy to let the emotional part take over. Be a business person. Polish up the product and put it out there. Produce the next product. I think it's important to remember to keep artist-you and business-you straight, and know when artist-you needs to go sit down and have a glass of wine or something and let business-you take over and put a stop to the, well, feeling all the time. Believe in your story. Sell it.
Ok, I know this is the Super Minority Opinion on this board, but why is "self-publishing it" automatically the right answer. Being a business person - as you pointed out - means making the right business decision. She's at a publisher right now. I don't know enough about the project to say that it's not something that wouldn't sell better as a Trad Published project. It could go either way.

I don't think it has anything to do with not believing in the story. It has to do with knowing what's best for your project and yourself and making sure they line up and you're happy with your decision.

*waits to have rotten tomatoes thrown at her*

I just think, as much as I love self-publishing, that it's not ALWAYS the auto-right answer for everyone and every project.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey trublue,

I'm not sure anything would be your last chance, though I definitely get why pulling a book on sub would sting.

From a marketing perspective, here are a few ideas:
Samples on Wattpad,
Figure out how to target fans of novels in verse through Goodreads/Facebook. There are a number of inexpensive advertising options where you can get super targeted. You might also find great reviewers -- verse enthusiasts that way. This won't help you sell a ton of books, but you may be able to "seed" word of mouth.

Hope that helps. Wine is good, too, especially when paired with Peanut M&Ms.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
Ok, I know this is the Super Minority Opinion on this board, but why is "self-publishing it" automatically the right answer. Being a business person - as you pointed out - means making the right business decision. She's at a publisher right now. I don't know enough about the project to say that it's not something that wouldn't sell better as a Trad Published project. It could go either way.

I don't think it has anything to do with not believing in the story. It has to do with knowing what's best for your project and yourself and making sure they line up and you're happy with your decision.

I just think, as much as I love self-publishing, that it's not ALWAYS the auto-right answer for everyone and every project.
I agree with you. I have a book that is rattling around in my head that I think I'm going to have to write someday. It will be very close to my heart and very far from the genre I'm currently writing in. My gut says it would be better at a traditional publishing house. So, if I ever find the time to write it, I plan on submitting it to agents/editors. We'll see where I stand once/if I get it done. And I love self-publishing. It's my first choice for my paranormals and UFs.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shel said:
Hey trublue,

I'm not sure anything would be your last chance, though I definitely get why pulling a book on sub would sting.

From a marketing perspective, here are a few ideas:
Samples on Wattpad,
Figure out how to target fans of novels in verse through Goodreads/Facebook. There are a number of inexpensive advertising options where you can get super targeted. You might also find great reviewers -- verse enthusiasts that way. This won't help you sell a ton of books, but you may be able to "seed" word of mouth.

Hope that helps. Wine is good, too, especially when paired with Peanut M&Ms.
Ha! I love that wine goes with M&M's. and I am doing just like you said. I am sending out a few copies for review. I will put out ads and get the word out. And it may not be my last dance with trad pub but I doubt that. It's just too slow,takes too long and I think they just don't get me. I don't know about anyone else but for me, Im over it. It could change but or now, so.over.it.

Thanks for replies :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:

I never tried to convey that self publishing is "automatically the right answer." I reread my post a couple of times and still don't see how I got that jammed in there, but, well, such is the story of my life.

What I was TRYING to getting at, was that, since this particular OP includes a specific work that has been languishing with a particular publisher for NINE months, and that the author said they were "done" waiting, but that they were scared that it being a single story might mean it might not do well, despite having another series out that does do well, that it might be time to just take the shot. I was attempting to respond to the very particular and specific situation and be encouraging, given the author having had success with other things. That was what I meant to convey but clearly did a poor job of. There might very well be a long term pay off if he/she continues to shop this around for a few more months or years. You just never know what's going to happen. I just tend to default to a "seize the day" attitude in situations like the one I have interpreted is being presented here. Mine is just another opinion on the Internet and should be taken accordingly, of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts