Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
Just do it. It's so easy to let the emotional part take over. Be a business person. Polish up the product and put it out there. Produce the next product. I think it's important to remember to keep artist-you and business-you straight, and know when artist-you needs to go sit down and have a glass of wine or something and let business-you take over and put a stop to the, well, feeling all the time. Believe in your story. Sell it.

· Registered
995 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
Ok, I know this is the Super Minority Opinion on this board, but why is "self-publishing it" automatically the right answer. Being a business person - as you pointed out - means making the right business decision. She's at a publisher right now. I don't know enough about the project to say that it's not something that wouldn't sell better as a Trad Published project. It could go either way.

I don't think it has anything to do with not believing in the story. It has to do with knowing what's best for your project and yourself and making sure they line up and you're happy with your decision.

*waits to have rotten tomatoes thrown at her*

I just think, as much as I love self-publishing, that it's not ALWAYS the auto-right answer for everyone and every project.
I never tried to convey that self publishing is "automatically the right answer." I reread my post a couple of times and still don't see how I got that jammed in there, but, well, such is the story of my life.

What I was TRYING to getting at, was that, since this particular OP includes a specific work that has been languishing with a particular publisher for NINE months, and that the author said they were "done" waiting, but that they were scared that it being a single story might mean it might not do well, despite having another series out that does do well, that it might be time to just take the shot. I was attempting to respond to the very particular and specific situation and be encouraging, given the author having had success with other things. That was what I meant to convey but clearly did a poor job of. There might very well be a long term pay off if he/she continues to shop this around for a few more months or years. You just never know what's going to happen. I just tend to default to a "seize the day" attitude in situations like the one I have interpreted is being presented here. Mine is just another opinion on the Internet and should be taken accordingly, of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.