Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not much of a surprise but given print sales of middle grade and young adults actually have not decreased...it is evidence of a shift to Amazon.

More of an FYI.

Mark

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
That's very likely because a large portion of Scholastic sales happen either through school book fairs, or mail-in orders by students each month. I'm assuming those didn't happen this year, so of course their sales would be down.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
That's very likely because a large portion of Scholastic sales happen either through school book fairs, or mail-in orders by students each month. I'm assuming those didn't happen this year, so of course their sales would be down.
This.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
And also, it would be an indicator that their online store really wasn't able to make up for the in-classroom sales. Then again, maybe it kept the drop from being more extreme.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
it is evidence of a shift to Amazon.
It's evidence of nothing of the sort. Nothing about school this year is normal. Teachers in our school district haven't been giving out their teacher codes or asking for orders to be submitted.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The decrease in sales of that magnitude usually leads to cost-cutting in the future.  Scholastic has to wait now to the fall and hope the market recovers. It has a ripple effect in the middle grade/young adult. By the time the pandemic hit, my guess is they were likely locked into their catalog for the fall or very close to it.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts