Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been around the boards now for two weeks or so, and I've seen lots of discussions on skins and covers. How about screen protectors?  Does anyone use one?  Good idea, or just waste of money?

Thanks, DR

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I, so far, haven't seen the need for one. Of course, after the grandkids come for a visit next week I may change my mind!!

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
I haven't seen the need either.  If I'm reading I don't want the screen covered.. . haven't had a problem with glare or anything.  It's pretty easy to find just the right angle.  When I'm not reading, it's in the closed cover so nothing will land on it.  And you don't touch it like a lot of cell phones so it doesn't need to be protected against finger oils.  A soft eyegass clothe cleans it quite nicely when needed.
Ann

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a screen cover, but I am concerned about added glare. I just keep my Kindle in its case when its not in use and clean it a couple of times a week. If you do clean your screen use alcohol free screen cleaner. I personally use a product called Screen Clean on most of my electronic devices.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I thought about it when I first got my kindle but afraid that screen protector might not as clear as without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a screen protector on an Archos 605, but there's a big difference.  The Archos has a touch screen, so it'll have fingers poking and sliding on it all the time, as well as having a rough plastic surface subject to such rubbing (glass surfaced ones such as an iPod touch probably don't really benefit either although they're bought for it anyway).  My Kindle screen is rarely touched if ever.  Additionally, the Kindle is something "stared" at for a LOT of time, unlike traditional screen-protected devices.  The screen really needs to be anti-glare, and the Kindle's pretty decent at it.  All the screen protectors I've seen for other devices are glossy.  Not good I think in trying to be anti-glare.  So, off hand, it's probably not something of real benefit.  Spending the money on another book would probably yield better results overall.  IMO anyway.    :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, All -

I purchased screen savers for both the Kindles I purchased (one for myself & the other a gift). I get my cell phone screen all dirty from my fingerprints & am constantly cleaning it, so I did not want to do this on the Kindle.

I like having it on, it does not change the perception of the screen one bit, IMO. It might cut down on glare as I have not found that to be a problem for me.

It is tricky to put on though. First thing to know if you purchase one is to use the small white sticker to separate the screen itself from the backing component. Then you have to place it...I guess my hands are not so steady in more; I ended up have to cut the screen down a bit in order to place on my Kindle. Because of this, mine has some very small bubbles at the edges which I quickly forget about when viewing the screen.

Younger hands will likely less trouble ::)

The one I purchased is from iKross, and it's a generic one for cell phones, PDAs, etc. So for me, it was worth it.

Amazon carries it for bargaincell by itself & has a "pack" with an SD card. Wish I saw the pack as I ordered mine separately :p

Here's the info

Marci

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Thanks, Marci, nice to get specific feedback from someone, I've added the picture and the Kindleboards link to your URLs.

The 2GB Kinston card looks to be exactly the card I'm using in my Kindle now.  $14 is a bit high for a 2GB card these days, you might be able to get a better deal locally at a store that sells SD cards.  If you needed to have one shipped, the shipping might bring it up to about that.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I too had been wondering about a screen protector. I have one on my blackberry, and ipod, and zune, so I was wondering about the screen on KinKin also. I guess as long as you keep your cover closed when not in use, you shouldn't have to protect the screen?

Last night after reading I set KinKin down on my night-table uncovered. I woke up this morning with the book that I was reading moved about 7 pages ahead from last night. I couldn't figure it out UNTIL I saw the cat-paw prints on the screen! Yikes, after I set him down, one of the cats decided to 'take a look' at him and stepped all over him. I guess I need to 'put him to sleep' (kindle, not the cat) after reading and close the cover, even if I am too tired.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Anoni Moose said:
I use a screen protector on an Archos 605, but there's a big difference. The Archos has a touch screen, so it'll have fingers poking and sliding on it all the time, as well as having a rough plastic surface subject to such rubbing (glass surfaced ones such as an iPod touch probably don't really benefit either although they're bought for it anyway). My Kindle screen is rarely touched if ever. Additionally, the Kindle is something "stared" at for a LOT of time, unlike traditional screen-protected devices. The screen really needs to be anti-glare, and the Kindle's pretty decent at it. All the screen protectors I've seen for other devices are glossy. Not good I think in trying to be anti-glare. So, off hand, it's probably not something of real benefit. Spending the money on another book would probably yield better results overall. IMO anyway. :)
Welcome AM, nice to have you with us! :) Feel free to jump right in with more posts. Please go to Intro/Welcome and introduce yourself. You will receive a warm welcome from a group that share a passion for reading and our Kindles.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I got the a Screen Protector when I first got my Kindle.  I never could get it to lay totally flat, it always had bubbles in it which bothered me when I was reading and it seemed attract dust much more then then regular screen .  I also thought it made the screen glossier and more glare prone.  I finally took it off and have it in a drawer some place.  I have had them for PDA's, cell phones and Blackberries in the past and liked them but not on my Kindle.  Just my opinion, but I would say not worth the money or time.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I got the a Screen Protector when I first got my Kindle. I never could get it to lay totally flat, it always had bubbles in it which bothered me when I was reading and it seemed attract dust much more then then regular screen . I also thought it made the screen glossier and more glare prone. I finally took it off and have it in a drawer some place. I have had them for PDA's, cell phones and Blackberries in the past and liked them but not on my Kindle. Just my opinion, but I would say not worth the money or time.
I was afraid of that bubbles. I have the protector on my digital camera but I couldn't put it on with out bubbles...

·
Registered
13 Posts
howdy..

is anyone out there using screen protectors,

if so,  which one?

what do you think of it...

and does it make the screen of the kindle darker?

thanks all

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I also considered it, but skipped when I read reviews on Amazon that they were hard to put on.  I always keep my kindle protected in a case (latest one is new M-Edge) and when I'm out, I put that in a neoprene zip around case that I got at Target for $10.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I use on that I got for free with the silicon cover. Although it was very hard to put on, I think that I would buy one if I had to do again. But I would suggest that if you get one, get a non-reflective one. When I replace mine it will have to be anti-glare because the glare can be irritating

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I see no need for a screen protector. I have no need to touch the screen and it is not like my phone where it is placed near my face to get makeup on it. This is one expense I don't have.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts