Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use screen protectors for your Kindle display?  I'd rather not deal with one, but if it's the wise thing to do, I'll buy them.  Any particular vendor you use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't have a screen protector and I don't really see a need to have one since it is not a touch screen.  I think I remember reading somewhere on the boards that most people do not have screen protectors.  I don't think I would like the look of a screen protector since most of them tend to be a bit "shiny" and I wonder if it would cause a glare in certain lighting situations. 

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
libro said:
How many of you use screen protectors for your Kindle display? I'd rather not deal with one, but if it's the wise thing to do, I'll buy them. Any particular vendor you use?
I didn't think I wanted or needed a screen protector because the Kindle does not have a touch screen. However, I go to the beach a lot and I started to think it would only take one grain of sand rubbing against the screen or some stray piece of dirt in my purse. I'm a fanatic about keeping my Kindle safe. A lot of things can scratch a screen even if it's not a touch screen.

So, after trying several screen protectors with no success I found this one:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/cleartouch-screen-protector-amazon-kindle-2_3469.htm

It is crystal clear, non-glare and leaves no residue. It is washable with mild soap and re-useable. I don't even know it's there and that's important to me. I have one for my Kindle 1 and my Kindle 2. It's a great product. (No, I don't work for Boxwave. :) )

They also sell this on Amazon.

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
I agree with DD about the concern for the screen, especially after following the link that Harvey provided that shows the K2 taken apart. There is no glass or plastic cover.  The surface IS the E-ink screen.  And I know how my cell phone cover has become big time scratched up.  Fortunately I have a screen saver on my Zune - so that the screen is protected.  But those devices are back lit and almost any screen saver will do for them. The K2 needs to have a screen saver that is not reflective.
I was torn by the Boxwave products too.  The crystal clear one sounds great. They also advertise a glare-free screen saver that I am planning on purchasing.  Anyone have experience with it?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DD said:
I didn't think I wanted or needed a screen protector because the Kindle does not have a touch screen. However, I go to the beach a lot and I started to think it would only take one grain of sand rubbing against the screen or some stray piece of dirt in my purse. I'm a fanatic about keeping my Kindle safe. A lot of things can scratch a screen even if it's not a touch screen.

So, after trying several screen protectors with no success I found this one:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/cleartouch-screen-protector-amazon-kindle-2_3469.htm

Does the Boxwave protector fit both K1 and K2? I hadn't ever thought of putting one either b/c of the glare factor, but this sounds like it might work well.
Ruby

It is crystal clear, non-glare and leaves no residue. It is washable with mild soap and re-useable. I don't even know it's there and that's important to me. I have one for my Kindle 1 and my Kindle 2. It's a great product. (No, I don't work for Boxwave. :) )

They also sell this on Amazon, but I found the shipping directly from Boxwave is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
geoffthomas said:
I agree with DD about the concern for the screen, especially after following the link that Harvey provided that shows the K2 taken apart. There is no glass or plastic cover. The surface IS the E-ink screen. And I know how my cell phone cover has become big time scratched up. Fortunately I have a screen saver on my Zune - so that the screen is protected. But those devices are back lit and almost any screen saver will do for them. The K2 needs to have a screen saver that is not reflective.
I was torn by the Boxwave products too. The crystal clear one sounds great. They also advertise a glare-free screen saver that I am planning on purchasing. Anyone have experience with it?
The Crystal Clear one is shiny. As I said in my post, the one I have is the non-glare by boxwave. It truly is non-glare and does not change the appearance or reflectiveness of the Kindle screen at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just put on the Zagg Invisible Shield, and I'm not too happy with it... it's VERY VERY VERY glossy. I liked the matte finish of the screen beforehand, and they say to wait 12-24 hours for the finish to "settle" plus you have to squirt application fluid on the skin itself, so maybe that needs time to dry. But if it doesn't unshine itself in a day or two, I'll have to take advantage of their Satisfaction Guarantee and return it for the boxwave anti-glare one. Can somebody please take pics of the anti-glare?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Harmakhet said:
The wife and I have the Invisible Shield ones from Zagg on ours. They work great but you have to be very careful to not get lint or dust on them as you are putting them on.

I liked it enough that I bought a set for my DS and PSP.
I was going to mention that one. People seem to be very happy with the Invisible Shield.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Sorry, Ruby, I didn't see your question right away because it is inserted in the middle of the quote.
They sell a model for the K1 and one for the K2. I really don't see any difference in the size but there might be a little.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DD said:
Sorry, Ruby, I didn't see your question right away because it is inserted in the middle of the quote.
They sell a model for the K1 and one for the K2. I really don't see any difference in the size but there might be a little.
DD, thanks for the info and I apologize that I inserted my question in the middle of another post, I didn't mean to do that.
Ruby

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went with the boxwave screen protector myself. It's not glossy, it adds no additional glare. I like it because I feel secure with it. Sounds lame, I know. But I no longer freak out if I see a thumb print or something atypical on my screen. I know I can just reach up and brush it off with my fingers and no damage will have been done. Also the Boxwave allows you to remove it and put it on time and time again without any residue left on the screen. It is easy to use. It took me a couple of times to get it where I liked it, but I eventually did. It is a good product and a small price to pay for piece of mind. Also you can wash the screen protector with warm water if it starts to get more dirty than you would care for. (Just make sure you air dry it according to the instructions before you reapply it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
cjpatrick said:
I went with the boxwave screen protector myself. It's not glossy, it adds no additional glare. I like it because I feel secure with it. Sounds lame, I know. But I no longer freak out if I see a thumb print or something atypical on my screen. I know I can just reach up and brush it off with my fingers and no damage will have been done. Also the Boxwave allows you to remove it and put it on time and time again without any residue left on the screen. It is easy to use. It took me a couple of times to get it where I liked it, but I eventually did. It is a good product and a small price to pay for piece of mind. Also you can wash the screen protector with warm water if it starts to get more dirty than you would care for. (Just make sure you air dry it according to the instructions before you reapply it.
...could you please put up a picture of your non-glossy boxwave? please?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
unrequited said:
I just put on the Zagg Invisible Shield, and I'm not too happy with it... it's VERY VERY VERY glossy. I liked the matte finish of the screen beforehand, and they say to wait 12-24 hours for the finish to "settle" plus you have to squirt application fluid on the skin itself, so maybe that needs time to dry. But if it doesn't unshine itself in a day or two, I'll have to take advantage of their Satisfaction Guarantee and return it for the boxwave anti-glare one. Can somebody please take pics of the anti-glare?
These may not be the best photos (taken with my Blackberry and a little blurry) but I think they show the Boxwave anti-glare screen protector well enough.

They were both taken under a Mighty Bright UltraFlex2 booklight.

This shows that the screen protector does not change the look of the screen at all:

This shows the glare of the booklight against a decalgirl skin and the look of the screen protector:

Hope these will be helpful to you.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Thank you for the pics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
DD said:
This shows the glare of the booklight against a decalgirl skin and the look of the screen protector:
Hope these will be helpful to you.
Oh that's wonderful! Thanks! Great contrast between the vinyl sheen of the decalgirl skin and the screen film. I've sent a refund request to Zagg and I'll be buying my Boxwave film today. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts