Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry...I tried to find the answer to this both on these boards and in Leslie's book, but couldn't find anything.

I have downloaded pix of my kids as screen savers (thanks to Leslie's great instructions!! - using all lowercase letters in naming the files was key for me..it wouldn't work till I did that) 

That being done, I just rec'd my skin from decal girl, and downloaded the screen saver that goes with it.

My question is:  Can I still keep my pictures of my kids ON the kindle but NOT have them rotate through as a screen saver and only use the pix that came with the skin??  I know I had to push Alt & shift & 0 to get the pix to become screen savers, but can I now turn that off, but keep the pix in the kindle?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
That's a good question.  One solution would be to remove them from the Kindle, then replace them.  Or, change the name slightly?

Leslie?

Betsy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind that I'm not very technologically savvy.  I was impressed with myself that I even got the screen savers up there in the first place!!

If I were to change the name slightly would I still keep the folder under pictures, and just create a new name for that one, and keep the one screensaver I want in the original folder?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I'll be honest, I haven't done alot with screensavers. I changed to the one that matched my skin and that's the only fooling around I've done.

My understanding is this: when you create custom screensavers, you put them in a folder which becomes a "book" on your Kindle. It's the last one listed on the home page. You can open that book and look at the pictures in it. When you do Alt-Shift-0 it makes a copy of the screensaver and puts it in the screensaver folder on the kindle...which is a hidden system folder. You need to choose the option in windows explorer to be able to see the hidden files and folders. Once the screensavers have been copied to that folder, you can delete the book if you want. But, if you keep the book, you can go back and look at the pictures.

If you go to the system > screensavers folder and delete the screensaver(s) that is there, the Kindle will revert back to the original screensavers. The weird (or confusing) part is that you don't see files for the originals. They are really hidden somewhere, I guess. But I have done this. I had to press Alt-Aa twice, but sure enough, my music screensaver was gone and guess who showed up first? Oscar Wilde!

Since I liked my music, I went back to the book (my pictures, last one on the list), opened it, chose Alt-F for full screen, then Alt-Shift-0. I got the message that it had been saved as a screensaver. And voila! Oscar was gone and my music was back.

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I posted in the tips and tricks on Screensavers and I'll repeat it here, because of these questions I did some research:

When you create custom screensavers (see below), the Kindle secretly creates ANOTHER screensaver folder "screen_saver" in the Kindle's system folder, which is normally hidden to view. In this folder are copies of the custom files you added, renamed in the order you selected them: "screen_saver_0.gz", "screen_saver_1.gz". Any pictures for which you do not press alt-shift-0 on are not here, even if they are in the "screensavers" folder you created. There is also an additional file called "screen_saver_last" which keeps track of the last screensaver displayed (this file only contains a single integer 0, 1, etc...) This is why you still have the screensavers even if you delete the folder you created.

To delete the secret screen_saver folder

To go back to the built-in original screensavers, you delete the whole secret folder in the system folder: "screen_saver". You DO NOT have to remove the pictures & screensavers folders that YOU added.

If you want to remove just some of the custom screensavers, unless you know the order you added them in, you will have to delete the whole screen_saver folder as you can't tell from the filenames in the screen_saver folder which file is which, and then re-add individual screensavers from the screensavers book with the Alt-Shift-0. If you DO know the order, ie, you can delete only the files you don't want, for example, screen_saver_0.gz" (See http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,769.msg14652.html#msg14652 and http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,769.msg17239.html#msg17239 for direction on deleting the secret screensaver folder.)

You can keep the pictures & screensavers folders in the Screensavers book that was created, just for browsing or for adding a different screensaver from your collection at a later date.

Hope this helps! Let me know what wasn't clear and I'll be glad to step you through it.

Betsy

As many know, Leslie covers adding custom screensavers on Location 381 of her book, The Amazon Kindle FAQ availlable at Amazon:

Overview: you connect the Kindle to your PC via USB and create a folder, either on the Kindle itself or on the SD card called pictures and then a subfolder called screensavers within the pictures folder. You copy the desired images into the screensavers folder. (Complete details elsewhere in the forum or in Leslie's book, this is just an overview). Then, after safely removing the Kindle from the PC, on your Kindle, you go to Home and press Alt-z, which creates a book called screensavers. You open the book, and for each picture you added, press alt-shift-0 (zero). (again more details elsewhere). After doing this, you can press Alt-aA to put the Kindle to sleep and see your new screensavers.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I read somewhere that saving personal screen savers can destablize the Kindle and make it necessary to reset it much more often. Does anyone have any info on this?

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stevene9 said:
I read somewhere that saving personal screen savers can destablize the Kindle and make it necessary to reset it much more often. Does anyone have any info on this?

Steve
Well there's an interesting question. I have not heard that, myself. I have only one custom screensaver on my Kindle: the one that matches my skin. So when it goes to sleep, the same thing always comes up. I like the look. Since I changed it on 11/8, I haven't had any problems with needing to do a reset.

But it's just one picture. I don't know what would happen if I tried it with 300 pictures of friends and family. Anyone else?

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Steve, can you figure out where you read that and let us know?  It's a good question!

I've only had my Kindle a short time and only recently changed the screensavers, haven't had any problem in the last week...  anyone with more input?

Betsy

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I read either on Amazon boards or in my user guide that messing with screen savers can cause the Kindle to freeze up.  I am gonna live with mine the way they shipped.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Well, I did just a heck of a lot of messing with mine doing testing, and right now Butch and Sundance are on it.  I'll let you know.  It could be anecdotal--people not knowing what they are doing.  Not that I know.  I will keep you posted.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
stevene9 said:
The only thing I remember, it seemed like it was a problem because there were too many screensavers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.  I actually took Betsy's original advise and removed the hidden screen_saver folder, then redid the whole thing, but didn't push the alt-shift-0 keys except for the skin screen saver.  I ended up with that one coming up every time, and all the pix of my kids still in there to see if I want, but not as screen savers.

By the way....for everyone out there, If I could do this....anyone can!!  Follow Leslie's directions and all will go well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts