Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's pretty early for a hack to come out, but I was wondering if anyone had the "ins" on when it might come out? I really despise viewing dead authors, as it creeps me out.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'd be surprised if it was much different than the K2 hack.  That being said, I'd also not be the first to try it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
same hack would be my guess just don't know what size the pictures would be but I am ready for something new as well this , as you said creeps me out

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just hope someone develops it soon, and people test it out because I don't want to be the one who does!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
My only guess on them making it so hard to put on your own screensaver is that they are depending on us Kindle users to demo the device, and they don't want their demo to have something odd or offputting on the screen.  They also don't seem to be standing much in the way of the people who do figure out and use the hacks though.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
MineKinder said:
Amazon knows we all dislike the screen savers, I wonder why they keep implementing them!
I will agree there are a lot here who dislike the screen savers. . . . but not all. I have no problem with them since I don't look at them. When I'm reading there are words on the page and when I'm not the cover is closed. Even if they were showing, I just don't see it as that big a deal. Some of them I actually quite like. Of course, that's just me. YMMV*

*Your Mileage May Vary

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have my KDX just sitting on my bed, and every time I approach it, some sad looking face is on there. I mean, everyone around me is creeped out by it, so it's not just me.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I will agree there are a lot here who dislike the screen savers. . . . but not all. I have no problem with them since I don't look at them. When I'm reading there are words on the page and when I'm not the cover is closed. Even if they were showing, I just don't see it as that big a deal. Some of them I actually quite like. Of course, that's just me. YMMV*

*Your Mileage May Vary
Some of us don't have covers yet. I had a very stern Emily Dickinson staring at me all afternoon while Big Boy was propped up on the ratty thing. Not a pleasant sight.

L

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
good question.. I did read on the mobi site that people are waiting the images are 1200 x 825 for the DX so its a matter of time.. honestly I dont mind some of the pretty ones but I added a skin to my K2 with gorgeous palmtrees and an ocean with a really bright red Parrott.. and there was Edgar Allen Poe looking over it.. on the DX they are even WORSE.. Thank goodness for the K2 hack I am sure this is done the same way but like they are all saying on Mobi.. I am not going to be the first and they are waiting for the guy who came up with the last one :)

LOL Leslie

she does look pretty rough her and that other guy.. the young one.. UGH

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm waiting for a brave soul to try out the K2 hack.  Either that or just wait till someone who understands the operating system to write one specifically for the DX.  I bet the wait won't be long.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Patrizia said:
LOL Leslie

she does look pretty rough her and that other guy.. the young one.. UGH
Which young one? Oscar Wilde?

I should probably define. The ratty thing:

Big Boy on the ratty thing:

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't have a picture of Emily Dickinson, but you all know what she looks like.

L

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leslie said:
Some of us don't have covers yet. I had a very stern Emily Dickinson staring at me all afternoon while Big Boy was propped up on the ratty thing. Not a pleasant sight.

L
I too don't have a cover, so until then, I guess I have to stare at their depressing faces.

Although, some of the screensavers aren't bad, but when they start making their rounds, it gets pretty frightening.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Hmmmm.  Well, then maybe it is "all". . . .  except me. :D  Mind you, I wouldn't have them framed on my wall, but they really don't bother me that much.  Oh well!  :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ann- I'm like you, they don't bother me that much since I'm not looking at my Kindles that much when the screensaver is on although I do have the hack on KK and K2. The DX is not in a cover yet so it may be more of an issue. I figure I can always slide over to another one  I like!

Lynn L

·
Registered
96 Posts
The OS is substantially different, but the "update" is a simple text search and replace, it SHOULD work on the K2DX if they have any sort of commonality in the source but I sure won't be trying it first. Heh. In fact the K2DX source code has been released so it's just a matter of checking to see if it'd work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fhelp%2Fcustomer%2Fdisplay.html%3Fie%3DUTF8%26nodeId%3D200203720&tag=manayourhear268-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

I might do that if I have the time this weekend, but I'm sure somebody else will get to it first.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Hmmmm. Well, then maybe it is "all". . . . except me. :D Mind you, I wouldn't have them framed on my wall, but they really don't bother me that much. Oh well! :D
They don't bother me either, Ann. (At least they didn't on my K1.) Funny, when the Kindle first came out, it seemed like everybody loved the author pictures, except maybe one or two. There were people asking for the original images so they could add their own and still have the amazon ones, and even people creating similar plates with other authors to add.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found the K2 screensaver hack thanks to the search fxn on this board, but could somebody post some example shots of what your K2 looks like with interesting pictures? I'm curious e.g. what home photos might look like on the pixel-limited K2 screen.

Also, besides needing to delete the hack again for any Kindle updates, what bad things have been known to happen after installing the hack?  I'm pretty new to this forum - I've had the K2 for a while b4 my KDX (which arrived yesterday), but I've never looked around at Kindle forums until this past week.  Thanks for responding.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts