Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the K3 first came out I picked one up and one of the first things I did was the screensaver hack.  It worked like a charm.  Recently a friend of mine picked up a K3 and asked me to install the screensaver hack in her Kindle.  I followed the exact same process and everything seemed to go well except for one peculiar thing.  I loaded 5 pictures into the screensaver folder on her K3.  They are all greyscale, 600 x 800, similar resolution and file size, etc.  The K3 only displays two of the 5.  The other 3 never show up.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I don't know of any reason for sure, but my suspicions would be either something corrupted in the missing images, or else something about the way they are named (e.g. some special characters in the file names that perhaps Windows is cool with but Linux -- the Kindle OS -- is not). Also, are they all the same file types? (I know JPEG and PNG images work, and I'm pretty sure GIF will, too -- at least non-animated GIFs.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NogDog said:
I don't know of any reason for sure, but my suspicions would be either something corrupted in the missing images, or else something about the way they are named (e.g. some special characters in the file names that perhaps Windows is cool with but Linux -- the Kindle OS -- is not). Also, are they all the same file types? (I know JPEG and PNG images work, and I'm pretty sure GIF will, too -- at least non-animated GIFs.)
When this first happened I thought perhaps the file names might be an issue so I renamed everything. They are all PNG images. The two that display are named RedRock.png and fence.png. The three that won't work are named boat.png, cowboys.png and 2yearold.png.

I'm going to uninstall the hack and reinstall it and see if that makes a difference. Then I'll load the images files in one at a time and save the two that work for the very last.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Sounds as if you're at least as smart about it as I am. :) Probably trying each one individually is a good idea, in order to find out if just one of them is corrupt (or at least unreadable by the Kindle) and perhaps causing it to go back to the first one when it can't load one of them? Or maybe hope that NiLuJe wanders by here at some point with a suggestion on how to debug it. ;D

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
laurie_lu said:
I'm watching this thread closely. I want to apply this hack to my brand new K3 but am a bit afraid.
I've been running it on my K3 since last autumn with no such problems, for whatever that's worth. I think I recall hearing of someone else with a similar problem and believe it was determined to be due to a corrupt image file, but in general I've not seen this -- and note that even this problem is just certain screensaver images not being displayed: no other functional problem with the Kindle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
laurie_lu said:
I'm watching this thread closely. I want to apply this hack to my brand new K3 but am a bit afraid.
Please don't hesitate to give it a try. I've done my Kindle and several others and had no problems at all. And this particular one isn't that big a deal. So she can only see 2 of the 5 images. I'm suspecting that one of those two is the culprit and as soon as I get my hands on her Kindle again I'm hoping to fix it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep, that sounds like a weird format/corruption quirk. You might want to check if they display correctly using the builtin (somewhat hidden/buggy) image viewer (Hint: put them in a zip archive in a pictures folder on your Kindle).

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
DCScott said:
I'm going to uninstall the hack and reinstall it and see if that makes a difference. Then I'll load the images files in one at a time and save the two that work for the very last.
I would be inclined to remove the images and try new ones, rather than remove the hack (which may be a problem after the last software upgrade). I installed the hack prior to the upgrade and it survived. I add/change images every couple of weeks.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend came over but forgot to bring her Kindle so I decided to experiment on my K3.  The three images that don't want to load on her K3 don't seem to want to load on mine either so that pretty much points to bad image files.  I have no idea what is wrong with them however.  They view fine in Gimp, Photoshop, Elements, etc.  They are all 600 x 800 pixels, 75 pixels to the inch, grey scale, png files.  Just for kicks I converted them from png to jpg but that had no effect.  Not sure where to go from here as she had her heart set in these particular photos. 

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
NogDog said:
That's weird. If all else fails, maybe display the image and then use a screen-capture utility to create a fresh image file?
Strange...if all else fails and the above does not work, you can always physically print the images and rescan them for new files ??
Keep working on this.......I'm involved now ! ha !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This just got truly weird.  I brought one of the images up on my computer screen, grabbed a screen capture with Snagit, saved it as a png file, checked it's resolution with Gimp (600x800) and loaded it into my K3.  It still won't display.  I'm beginning to take this personally because I'm in all three of the photos that won't load on the K3.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
DCScott said:
This just got truly weird. I brought one of the images up on my computer screen, grabbed a screen capture with Snagit, saved it as a png file, checked it's resolution with Gimp (600x800) and loaded it into my K3. It still won't display. I'm beginning to take this personally because I'm in all three of the photos that won't load on the K3.
This truly made me "LOL". I wish I had some clever idea as to what's going on. If it's some sort of bug that is reacting to a specific pattern of pixels (your face? ;) ), maybe something like scaling it up a bit and then cropping back to 600x800 (so you'd lose some pixels from each edge) might help, or perhaps fiddling with contrast/brightness a bit? Or do a left/right flip of the image? Burn some incense and sacrifice a chicken?

Any chance you'd want to share any of the images so we can try?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts