Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just replaced my K1's screensavers with my own photos (first time I've done it). The whole procedure went fine, except that some of the photos show up sideways on the screen. Most of the shots came out right side up, and I can't figure out what's different about the ones that rotated. I had not turned them during preparation. I deliberately chose vertical photos or cropped them to be vertical, to fit the K screen. Is there any way to get them to show up right side up?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
That must have come as a surprise....  ;D

Are the ones that went landscape 600x800 as they ought to be?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
All I know is that they have to be set at 600x800.

You cannot rotate them on the Kindle.  I think you just have to delete them off the Kindle....correct the issue on your photo editing software and then redownload to Kindle.

(800x600 won't work, by the way)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I'll try that, thanks. As soon as I figure out how! I think most of the ones that turned had been cropped, so maybe that's where the problem started.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cherie, I just deleted a screensaver this afternoon for the first time.  If you are running Windows XP, you have to set your folders to show hidden files and you also have to UNcheck the thing that says something about "Do not show folders for system files"  otherwise, you can't follow Leslie's FAQ to remove custom screensavers.  PM me if you have any problems or questions.  I would be happy to help and also get you the exact wording (whcih I do not have here)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I tried to re-size them but can't figure out how to do it. I found the info on their size, but it's not something I can change. Then I checked the sizes of the photos that transferred fine. NONE of them are 600x800, so I'm not convinced that's necessary.

Isn't the # pixels a property of the photo that is set at the time you take the photo? How can it be changed after the pic is already taken?

KindleKay, thanks for the tip on how to remove a custom screensaver. I think when (if) I get these shots fixed, I'll just replace the whole folder. That'll probably be simpler than doing a bunch individually.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
When you resize your pic in the software, you want to choose pixels and 600X800  It can be done in the software

Can you post what you have and I will give it a shot in my software?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KindleKay said:
When you resize your pic in the software, you want to choose pixels and 600X800 It can be done in the software

Can you post what you have and I will give it a shot in my software?
I don't think my software (Preview, on a MacBook) gave me the option to choose pixels. It tells me what they are, but it's not changeable. I'm probably not looking in the right place.

That's a very generous offer, thank you! But I don't have an account at photobucket or any of those places, so can't post a photo.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Cherie said:
I don't think my software (Preview, on a MacBook) gave me the option to choose pixels. It tells me what they are, but it's not changeable. I'm probably not looking in the right place.

That's a very generous offer, thank you! But I don't have an account at photobucket or any of those places, so can't post a photo.
You are welcome to email them to me and I'll see if I can fix them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I found it! They have to be moved into iPhoto and then there's a way to specify the pixels. I still don't get why all the instructions say the screensavers must be 600x800, since none of mine are and most of them look just fine. Maybe 600x800 is the max definition on the K screen, so any better resolution than that won't show up. But it certainly causes no problem.

It remains to be seen whether this solves the rotation problem. Doesn't seem like it would have anything to do with that.

Thanks, Kathy, let me fiddle with them a while longer and see how it goes.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Yeah, it is simple. I even figured it out, so almost anyone else should be able to do so.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I would love to see them as well. The 600x800 is also the orientation. It works like a document. If you have it at 8 1/2 X 11 it is portrait and if you have it 11 X 8 1/2 it is landscape.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Have a look at ImageWell, which only runs $19.95 and has a free 7-day trial version. I've just downloaded the trial version to check it out.... It's easy to use and has some very nice features, like watermarking and framing....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, everyone! Setting them at 600x800 did the trick! A couple of pictures didn't want to show up as screensavers (different ones than I had trouble with before) and I don't know what's up with that. But most of them went just fine.

I'll take a look at photobucket and try to show you my pics. Some were from here--a couple of neat screensavers posted by other KB members--and most of the others are my dogs and pictures I took of trees, flowers, and glass art in Tacoma.

Anyway, thanks again!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the photos that originally rotated have rotated again. They show up on the Kindle screen on their side. This is even after I had taken them back back to the editing software and made them all 600x800 etc. I've scoured the web for info and all the sites have copied the same basic instructions. Nobody mentions what makes a photo turn or how to prevent it. It's hard to believe the problem hasn't happened to anyone else. Anyone out there know what's going on?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Did you delete the original screensavers that rotated?  If not, then they are cycling through.  I made the mistake of adding the same picture twice and didnt know it.  It just showed up twice as much as the others....

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I forgot to make the screensavers I made full page and had to redo. I didn't realize that I would need to go to the root file and delete them, so I had duplicates. There are instruction somewhere on the board on how to delete custom screensavers and then redo them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts