Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new with my Kindle and trying to be very careful with it.  I was curious and concerned by the earlier post stating personal screensavers could void the warranty.  I wrote to Amazon and this is the response I received:

Greetings from Amazon Kindle Support.

Thank you for your interest in placing personal screensavers on your Kindle.  While it is possible to do so, it is not a supported feature of the Kindle, and you run the risk of damaging your Kindle thus voiding your Warranty.

Best regards,

Matthew T
Amazon.com -- Earth's Most Customer Centric Company

I am sure others have installed them with no problems.  I just thought I would share this information with everyone so we can all make our own informed decisions.  :-\

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tada! Thanks for getting that information from the Kindle Support team - if you do it, make sure you know what you're doing. It's like trying to mod an xbox 360 - it can be done & a lot of fun, but if they [Microsoft] find out you did it, they won't support it anymore...

G

·
That is their text book response.  If they stick with it then there are a lot of Kindles out there with boided warrenties, mine included.   I do have the original screensavers in a zip file and could reinstall them if I wanted to but I just don't want to.

I wonder how they feel about skins and third party covers?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Vampyre,
It would be just my luck though, while attempting to download a screen saver I would glitch and ruin the Kindle.
Maybe this just all sounds intimidating now, because I have NEVER even seen a Kindle in RL!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Vampyre said:
That is their text book response. If they stick with it then there are a lot of Kindles out there with boided warrenties, mine included. I do have the original screensavers in a zip file and could reinstall them if I wanted to but I just don't want to.

I wonder how they feel about skins and third party covers?
Vampyre,

I'm not saying that the screen savers are going to kill the Kindle. All I am saying is that if something goes wrong, the first thing Amazon CS is going to tell you is to do a firmware reset to get it back to the way it was when they sold it to you. So, if you want to cover all your bases, you might as well do a firmware reset before calling amazon.com cs (it wipes everything) but, thats what they will tell you to do. More then likely, that will fix your issue but if it doesn't, and they find out that the issue happened after it was altered (by messing with the screen savers) then you may have a harder time getting a free replacement.

Just my 2 Cents...

G

·
I find it difficult (though not impossible, given the evidence) to believe that Amazon would enable a series of keystrokes whose sole purpose is to perform a particular function, and then void one's warranty after you used it.  It's like saying that if you discovered how to play Minesweeper on your Kindle they'd void your warranty for doing so.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I find it difficult to believe that Amazon would enable a series of keystrokes whose sole purpose is to perform a particular function, and then void one's warranty after you used it.
Your logic is irrefutable, Jim. If that is indeed Amazon's policy, they should re-think it. There are several thousand lawyers out there who would happily organize a class action suit for all the users whose warrantees were thus voided.

G

·
Jeff said:
Your logic is irrefutable, Jim. If that is indeed Amazon's policy, they should re-think it. There are several thousand lawyers out there who would happily organize a class action suit for all the users whose warrantees were thus voided.
Are you actually agreeing with me? :eek: Or being so subtly sarcastic that I'm not getting it? ???

G

·
My favorite of them all is still the first one, from "The Devil in the Dark."  As Bones is trying to heal the Horta: "Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I actually just checked the Kindle User's Guide and the "About Your Kindle" manual and neither one has instructions for changing the screensavers. I think all the info out there (including the info in my FAQ) came from users who figured it out.

I have a custom screensaver on my Kindle and I have removed it and gone back to the originals, then re-added it without any problem. However, I will point out for anyone reading this thread who might be thinking of changing the screensaver but hasn't done it yet: making the change, while not hard, does require that you connect the Kindle to your computer with the USB cable. You need to know who to use Windows explorer (or the equivalent program on a Mac), know how to create and manipulate folders, move files into directories, and navigate to different directories. If you want to remove a custom screensaver, you need to know how to view hidden files. If you don't feel technologically comfortable with any of this, then I would suggest not trying to install custom screensavers. I have heard of people who have really messed up their Kindles because they thought they knew what they were doing, but really didn't.

L

G

·
Leslie said:
I actually just checked the Kindle User's Guide and the "About Your Kindle" manual and neither one has instructions for changing the screensavers. I think all the info out there (including the info in my FAQ) came from users who figured it out.

I have a custom screensaver on my Kindle and I have removed it and gone back to the originals, then re-added it without any problem. However, I will point out for anyone reading this thread who might be thinking of changing the screensaver but hasn't done it yet: making the change, while not hard, does require that you connect the Kindle to your computer with the USB cable. You need to know who to use Windows explorer (or the equivalent program on a Mac), know how to create and manipulate folders, move files into directories, and navigate to different directories. If you want to remove a custom screensaver, you need to know how to view hidden files. If you don't feel technologically comfortable with any of this, then I would suggest not trying to install custom screensavers. I have heard of people who have really messed up their Kindles because they thought they knew what they were doing, but really didn't.

L
I endorse this comment 2000%

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Maybe this just all sounds intimidating now, because I have NEVER even seen a Kindle in RL!
Trust me. It's very easy. Not that I would know. And not that there's a whole bunch of threads in the Kindle Boards photo gallery here:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?board=10.0 with images that you can use.

I'm not saying :don't worry about voiding the warranty". I'm more of the opinion: be aware of HOW you are voiding the warranty. In the interest of full disclosure, I have installed several of my own screen savers, and had no problems downloading, reading, re-reading, or moving books on my kindle.

Scout's honor.
And Jem's too.

~robin

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.