Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put my own screensavers in Kinderella, but need to know how many she will hold.  Do tell!  ???

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Gail said:
I'd like to put my own screensavers in Kinderella, but need to know how many she will hold. Do tell! ???
I would imagine it would be able to hold as much as you have free memory.... How many do you want to jam in there? ;D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I can see I won't be in any trouble - probably at the most 20.  I assume that's safe?  The other question I have is:  once I've put them all in as screensavers, can I delete one without deleting the whole collection?

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I would think 20 would be ok.  I haven't tried deleting just one to see what happens.  Will do some testing and let you know what happens!  Eleanor the Kindle loves testing these things out!

Betsy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're always happy to give you a little project to work on!  Lemme know, when you've tried it.  And by the way, I read on another board that you can press escape to stop the animation, but that doesn't seem to work for me.  Just saying.....

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Gail said:
Oh, I can see I won't be in any trouble - probably at the most 20. I assume that's safe? The other question I have is: once I've put them all in as screensavers, can I delete one without deleting the whole collection?
I think in theory you can, but since amazon saves them with filenames like screensaver_1.azw, it'll be hard to figure out which one you want to delete. It was easier for me to just delete them all and start over, but then I just had two in there ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
marianner said:
I think in theory you can, but since amazon saves them with filenames like screensaver_1.azw, it'll be hard to figure out which one you want to delete. It was easier for me to just delete them all and start over, but then I just had two in there ;)
Theoretically, you should be able to view the thumbnails on your PC and thus determine which one you want to delete.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Theoretically, you should be able to view the thumbnails on your PC and thus determine which one you want to delete.
After you put them in the folder on the card, they don't actually become screensavers until you do the keystroke combo (Alt-Shift-0) which creates the "real" screensaver files within the system folder. These have extension .azw and are dependent on which order you created them. If you know the order you added them, then you can figure it out. OR, you can wait until the one you want to delete has shown up on your screen, then check the "screensaver_last" file in the system screensaver folder to see what number it was, and delete it then.

What I don't know is if having a missing number messes up the screensaver routine. Will test.

Betsy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that info, all of you....I don't have them all collected yet, so I'm not ready to install them.  Maybe by then you'll know more specifically how it works.  (I'm still trying to figure out how to resize them on PSP - I feel like such a dummy - sometimes it works and sometimes not.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've followed all directions and installed 8 new photos to use as screensavers.  BUT...when I sleep, wake, sleep, etc., only 1 shows, no rotation.  It's the last one I installed.  What's wrong?  I think this question might have been asked on another board, but I can't find it.  Can you help, please?  Thanks...
Gail

G

·
Either your "pictures" folder or your "screensavers" subfolder has been named with a capital letter.  Both folders must be in all lower-case.  You will probably need to delete the mis-named folder, create a new one that isn't capitalized and start over.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have really messed up!  Redoing the folder with lower case didn't work for some reason.  So I deleted the whole folder and subfolder, trying to get back the default screensavers.  Now what I have is one custom screensaver (again, the last one I tried to put in) and NO default screensavers at all.  What to do?????  I should have left well enough alone. Help, I'm drowning!

G

·
Take a deep breath.

OK?

No, you cannot simply rename the folders with a lower case.  The system will automatically capitalize them again if you do that.  You HAD to delete the folders.

You're halfway home.

Now create a folder called "pictures."  (lower-case p)
Within that foloder, create a sub-folder called "screensavers."  (lower-case s)
Then load your custom pictures back into that sub-folder and use the keystrokes to "install" them one at a time just as you did the first time. (Alt-F for Fullscreen, then whatever that other Alt combo is.)

G

·
The reason you can't see the default screensavers is because you still have one custom screensaver installed in your System folder.

G

·
Gail said:
But how do I get rid of the 1 custom screensaver?
To do that, you will have to access your System folder and delete the custom one. Check out the "I can't find my System Folder" thread in Tips and Tricks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've checked it out , but no way can I find my system folder.  I may give up and try again tomorrow.  but what if I took the back off and pressed the reset button?  would that solve my problem and give me back the default screensavers?

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
No, it won't help.

Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine, sleep on it and we'll start again tomorrow.  It will be alright.

Betsy

G

·
Gail said:
I've checked it out , but no way can I find my system folder. I may give up and try again tomorrow. but what if I took the back off and pressed the reset button? would that solve my problem and give me back the default screensavers?
No. :(

You will have to find the System folder. It isn't hard. Go to your PC'c Control Panel. Go to Folder Options. You will get a page with four tabs. Select the Tab labeled "View." You'll see a bunch of checkboxes down the left hand side for various options. There are three that are important to you. In the first group of options is one called "Display the contents of system folders. Check it. The first option in the second batch allows you to choose to see hidden files. Make sure you check "show." Two options down from that one is "Hide protected operating system files. UNCHECK that. Apply the changes.

Now plug in your Kindle. Voila! :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts