Introducing ScribeCount - all of your sales in one place!
I'm Philippa, one of the founders of ScribeCount, and, like you, I'm an indie author (I write under pen names Moira Katson and Natalie Grey). Also like many of you, I've been slogging through downloading sales from various platforms and trying to make sense of it. And, while I am a huge statistics nerd who loves data analysis, I don't particularly enjoy repetitive, time-consuming data gathering. Nor do I enjoy giving up my passwords or being data-mined.
ScribeCount is a browser extension that shows you sales data from Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Draft2Digital, Google Play, and Kobo, all in one place. More platforms are in the works, including audio - we'll keep going until we run out!
Your sales data are displayed in several ways, the first being an interactive sunburst graphic, color-coded for each platform. You can adjust time frame, look over individual platforms, evaluate different pen names and series, and more - with a bunch of custom reports to come. The data are as close to live as each platform allows, with some of the same minor discrepancies over the course of the day that we've all gotten used to, such as returns throwing a wrench in the works.
And what about data security, you ask? Excellent question! Randall and I drove our development team absolutely nuts with our requirements that the browser extension not store passwords, user IDs, or session cookies, and that the user maintain control over their own data. The development team pulled that off fantastically, so a brief round of applause for them, please.
Now, as to the nuts and bolts: As mentioned above, ScribeCount is a browser extension. You will be able to enable or disable each of the platforms, and you will need to be logged into each connected platform, with your computer on, for the data to be pulled. Once pulled, the data are stored on Microsoft Azure servers, which have top-of-the-line encryption, and we made a handy "Delete All My Data" button. This button means that you can load your data, look at it, and then delete all of it in each session if you would like to do so, with the only downside being a bit more loading time the next time you login.
For more questions about ScribeCount's data security and process, you can go to https://www.scribecount.com/index.html#how-it-works or feel free to send us an email with specific questions at [email protected]
Above, you can see an image of the dashboard. Circled items:
- the toggle that allows you to disable or enable a specific platform
- the "Delete All My Data" button, which allows you to ensure that none of your sales data are stored on the Azure servers between sessions (this will cause the next login to be slower, but if it's important to you to ensure no one has your data, this button is quick and easy to use!)
- the indicator that there is an issue with syncing a specific platform
Now, one of the big questions: how much does it cost?
ScribeCount uses a tiered payment system, based on the previous month's aggregated sales, AND has a 14 day free trial period.
- Tier 1 is free, and is for authors who earned less than $500 in the previous month.
- Tier 2 is for authors earning between $500 and $1000 in the previous month, and will be $15/month.
- Tier 3 is for authors earning between $1000 and $5000 in the previous month, and will be $20/month.
- Tier 4 is for authors who earned more than $5000 in the previous month, and will be $25/month.
Have questions? Drop them here!