Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all users of Scrivener, I've got a question to ask.  I'm trying to compile my short fiction book to be uploaded to Amazon, but I'm having formatting issues.

I got to Compile and set the "Format As" to E-book, but there's a second option I don't know how to use.  That's the "Compile For" document.  So far I've tried using .rtf, .doc and .pdf, but none of them keep my indentations and centering when I upload the file to Amazon (or even after I've compiled the document, in the case of .rtf and .doc.  Using the .pdf caused letters to disappear when uploaded to Amazon).  I use the default Format->Text->Spacing to indent the first line of all my paragraphs to 3 inches, but it still won't show up on the .doc or .pdf file when uploaded to Amazon (the indent does, however, appear in the documents before I upload).

I've tried googling to see what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't found any reason why I'm having this problem.  Much thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Set Format As: to Custom, as you will be setting all the parameters in each section yourself. Compile For: should be set to Kindle, that way you'll get a .mobi file to upload and it won't have to be formatted by KDP. You can view the .mobi file by drag and dropping it to your kindle, or by downloading Amazon's Kindle app for PC.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Format As is the default compile settings, but Compile as is the document type that it will compile into. So, if you want a .mobi file, change it to Kindle File (.mobi) or whatever the file type you'd like.

As for your problem, do you have the "Compile As Is" option checked on each item in your compile contents list? Can we maybe see a screenshot of your settings?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Rykymus said:
Set Format As: to Custom, as you will be setting all the parameters in each section yourself. Compile For: should be set to Kindle, that way you'll get a .mobi file to upload and it won't have to be formatted by KDP. You can view the .mobi file by drag and dropping it to your kindle, or by downloading Amazon's Kindle app for PC.
Format As automatically changes to Custom when you start tweaking settings. (At least in the Mac version.) I always save my settings as well so I don't have to keep "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention I was using the Windows version of the program.

I downloaded the Kindlegen and was able to save into the mobi format.  Now I've just got to beat my head in trying to figure out font types and styles.

As another question, anyone know how to include the title page without it actually being included in the contents section of the ebook?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
For the Windows version, the best way to compile is to format everything in the edit window and then uncheck the "override text and notes formatting" in the compile/format window. Compile for mobi.

If you download the kindle previewer, you can just keep compiling and checking the results to learn what each little "tidbit" does for you. It's a very complicated program and there's a nasty learning curve and the Windows and Mac versions have significant differences, particularly in compiling for ebooks.

Also definitely get the latest 1.5.0.8 beta from the literature and latte site. It does far better formatting and they have fixed the program so it no longer produces mobi outputs that have problems with the PaperWhite and other KF8 devices.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm a huge fan of "as-is" compiling - which is essentially what Katie is talking about. Basically, it means that you do all of your formatting manually within the editor, and the compiler doesn't make any changes. I did a lot of this (on the Mac version) while I was getting to learn the program.

Also -- if you have access to a Mac, just use that version. I can't even begin to discuss how much more awesome it is than the Windows. I only have my Win version in case I feel like using my desktop instead of my Macbook. :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Katie Elle said:
For the Windows version, the best way to compile is to format everything in the edit window and then uncheck the "override text and notes formatting" in the compile/format window. Compile for mobi.

If you download the kindle previewer, you can just keep compiling and checking the results to learn what each little "tidbit" does for you. It's a very complicated program and there's a nasty learning curve and the Windows and Mac versions have significant differences, particularly in compiling for ebooks.

Also definitely get the latest 1.5.0.8 beta from the literature and latte site. It does far better formatting and they have fixed the program so it no longer produces mobi outputs that have problems with the PaperWhite and other KF8 devices.
I've only had Scrivener for a few months, so I'm not sure how updates work. When that beta update goes live, does it roll out the bug fixes to everyone? Or do you have to re-buy Scrivener to get the latest version?

·
Registered
719 Posts
you can download it and just insert your already-purchased license key (if it even asks). At times they will do massive updates that require an upgrade of your license, but those are for huge upgrades, not for bug fixes. I think they've only done this type of upgrade once  before.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Cool, thanks.  That's good to know.  :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts