Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any success with compiling a Scrivener draft into a PDF file Createspace would enjoy?

I'm talking things like alternating headers (Author Name on one page, Book Title on the next), page numbers not displaying on the first page of a chapter, offset margins, little things like that.  I'm using the Windows version.

Or is this one of those things Scrivener is not the best for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Glenn Bullion said:
Has anyone had any success with compiling a Scrivener draft into a PDF file Createspace would enjoy?

I'm talking things like alternating headers (Author Name on one page, Book Title on the next), page numbers not displaying on the first page of a chapter, offset margins, little things like that. I'm using the Windows version.

Or is this one of those things Scrivener is not the best for?
I started to go this same route, but with the complicated margin layout I opted to use a CreateSpace Word template for the target book size.
Once I loaded the blank template (no filler material) and pasted each chapter, I spot-checked a bazillion times and uploaded and then spot-checked another bazillion times.
Tedious, but happy with the print results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eh I thinking this would end up being the route.  I've got templates already I can use in the form of previous books.  I guess I can compile to Word, and copy and paste info over.  Bah.  :)  It's a shame, as it creates beautiful .mobi files.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Ooh, Elle, I would love to hear about your experience as well.  CreateSpace is coming up on my radar fast, and while I'm quite proficient with Scrivener, that's not one I've tackled yet.  I would love any hints or tips on settings and results.  I'm sure all the other Scrivener folks here would too. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
RuthNestvold said:
Elle, are you using the Windows or Mac version of Scrivener? And did you create some kind of template for this?
Yes I did. I use the Mac version. I have it set for a 9x6 but it's very easy to change to any book size. It doesn't change the other values at all.

I've been meaning to do a video on my process. I guess I better hurry up! :)

Damon J Courtney said:
Ooh, Elle, I would love to hear about your experience as well. CreateSpace is coming up on my radar fast, and while I'm quite proficient with Scrivener, that's not one I've tackled yet. I would love any hints or tips on settings and results. I'm sure all the other Scrivener folks here would too. :)
I love, love, love Scrivener. I'd never go back to not using it again. I can generate my paperback now with just a few clicks. It's brilliant. I'm going to make some instructional videos and offer my templates gratis on my website soon. January hopefully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
ellecasey said:
I love, love, love Scrivener. I'd never go back to not using it again. I can generate my paperback now with just a few clicks. It's brilliant. I'm going to make some instructional videos and offer my templates gratis on my website soon. January hopefully.
Oooh, can't wait! I just hope it will work on the Windows version. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Elle is a beast.

From what I can see, it does indeed work very nicely with the strange formatting requests on the Mac version.  However, the Windows version is missing these features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
Glenn Bullion said:
Elle is a beast.

From what I can see, it does indeed work very nicely with the strange formatting requests on the Mac version. However, the Windows version is missing these features.
I don't know what I did to earn the title Beast, but I can't lie and say I don't love it.

Going totally beast-mode over here on my ScriveNAR...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Elle, do you use to for mobi creation?  If so, yes, yes, please Elle, do a video of how you do that.  I am trying to decide if I want to purchase it or not...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Madeline said:
Elle, do you use to for mobi creation? If so, yes, yes, please Elle, do a video of how you do that. I am trying to decide if I want to purchase it or not...
It does Mobi and ePub perfectly as well. I *definitely* recommend picking it up. They have a free 30 day trial anyways - there's no reason not to give it a try to see if it will work for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
KellyHarper said:
It does Mobi and ePub perfectly as well. I *definitely* recommend picking it up. They have a free 30 day trial anyways - there's no reason not to give it a try to see if it will work for you.
Actually, I am using the free trial right now. I love it so far, especially the organizational aspects of it.

But a couple of things that bug me are: a) I can't figure out the formatting stuff and b) I can't figure out how to get a total word count for a WIP. (There's got to be a way to do that, but everytime I go into the tools section, it just shows the current file or folder word count...not the entire project.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
JRHenderson said:
Yup, that helps ;D

I'll play around with it using this video and see if I can figure it out.

I've always wanted to use this program, but they never had it available for PC until recently...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
JR, I tried that and still no luck. 

If I highlight "Draft" and wait, nothing happens.  The bottom of the screen (where the word count is) is blank. 

If I highlight the first page thingie right under draft (in your screen shot, it would be "Untitled" which you have highlighted in your example), it shows the word count for that particular section, not the entire project.

Yes, it's driving me crazy.  Been trying to figure this out for days  :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Madeline said:
Actually, I am using the free trial right now. I love it so far, especially the organizational aspects of it.

But a couple of things that bug me are: a) I can't figure out the formatting stuff and b) I can't figure out how to get a total word count for a WIP. (There's got to be a way to do that, but everytime I go into the tools section, it just shows the current file or folder word count...not the entire project.)
Up at the top, click Project -> Project Statistics. That will popup a window that calculates everything for your current project. It may be located in a different menu on the PC, but I'm reasonably certain those would be roughly equivalent.

I added a button for Project Statistics to my toolbar so I could click it regularly. Sucks to be a word-counter sometimes, but I just can't stop myself! :)
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top