Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
I can format it but it wont give me partition options.  They stay greyed out. :(

The only thing i get is the option to partition my physical drives

·
Registered
776 Posts
How long should it take a book to move over the the SD card?  I put my card in this afternoon and chose two books as a test - it has now been over 5 hours and neither one has made it over.  I have the SanDisc 4 GB

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
vg said:
How long should it take a book to move over the the SD card? I put my card in this afternoon and chose two books as a test - it has now been over 5 hours and neither one has made it over. I have the SanDisc 4 GB
I have done it many times and we're talking between 1 and 2 seconds.

Steve

·
Registered
776 Posts
All it takes is asking the question - I checked and saw that it still looked like nothing had happened - went to my home page and back to the content manager - and everything had moved over!  From that point on, the transfer happened just as quickly as moving from Kindle to Amazon memory.  I hadn't realized that the books I put on the card would still show on my homepage though, I was trying to leave it in permanently and just move books to it when I was done so they would be available, but hidden.  I have 10 home pages now, and Emerson is starting to look cluttered.  I hadn't cared much about having files added, but now I'm on the bandwagon with everyone else...

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
It's helpful to know, and not completely intuitive, that with Content Manger you can set it to see Kindle only, SD card only, or Amazon only.  When you do a soft or hard reset it defaults to showing all.

On the home page you'll see everything on Kindle or SD and you can't further sort them out except by Title, Author, or newest.

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
It's helpful to know, and not completely intuitive, that with Content Manger you can set it to see Kindle only, SD card only, or Amazon only. When you do a soft or hard reset it defaults to showing all.

On the home page you'll see everything on Kindle or SD and you can't further sort them out except by Title, Author, or newest.

Ann
I just ordered an SD card so I could store non-amazon books on it to declutter my home page. Can't do that, huh? So SD cards are really just for overflow?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I also have heard that if you move it from main memory to the SD card, that it indexes it again, but I don't know for sure.  That could cause things to slow down a little, for a while.

The only way to keep it from showing up on the Home Page is to remove the SD card.

Make sure to turn the Kindle off before removing the card, though!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
I also have heard that if you move it from main memory to the SD card, that it indexes it again, but I don't know for sure. That could cause things to slow down a little, for a while.

The only way to keep it from showing up on the Home Page is to remove the SD card.

Make sure to turn the Kindle off before removing the card, though!
Thanks. My card just arrived, but I think I'll wait until the weekend to play with it. I'll check back here before I do anything because I know I'll forget by then.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have 18 pages of books, only four ("books" not pages) of which are periodicals that are updated daily. I keep ALLLL the books on my SD card whether from amazon or anywhere else, and only keep the book(s) I am currently reading, and the periodicals, like Amazon Daily on Skinderella herself. It shows as less than one page :)
Here's how:
Since there's no way to choose to view only Skinderella, or only the SD card -unless in management mode (or whatever it's called) I do something a little tricky. I took the back off Skinderella, pushed the SD card so it wasn't "in" but was still in the slot, and replaced the back. Now all I see are the items on Skinderella. If I want to see what's on the SD card, put new books on the SD card or move my next book to read from the card to Skinderella, I just remove the back, push the card in, and voila. When I'm done I repeat so that Skinderella wont see the card again. Doing this allows me to always have my card, i.e. library with me, and with just a few steps it's there for me to see and do what I'd like. As always, make sure your Kindle is off when removing the back.

If anyone knows why this is a bad idea, pls chime in. As far as I know I'm not harming my SD card, but some of you Kindle techies may know more than I.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts