Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does using the sd card in the kindle 1 drain the battery? And I bought my kindle 1 used so is there any way to know if its one-year warranty is still available?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
libros_lego said:
does using the sd card in the kindle 1 drain the battery? And I bought my kindle 1 used so is there any way to know if its one-year warranty is still available?
The SD card can drain the battery if you have a lot of books on it that need to be indexed. That happened with mine - I started noticing that the battery was draining much more quickly than it had been previously. I poked around a couple of message boards & saw a few people mention that their batteries had drained quickly while the Kindle was indexing the SD card, so I checked & sure enough, there were quite a few books it was working on indexing. Turned it off, pulled the SD card, and battery life was back to normal. So now I only put in the SD card if I want to transfer something over to the Kindle. You'll notice it happening, though, so you can leave it in for awhile unless you start to notice an increased battery drain.

If you can't ask the original owner, Kindle support should be able to tell you if you have warranty left and how much - whatever is left would transfer to you as the new owner.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to leave my sd card in my kindle so when the kindle is done indexing, the battery life will go back to normal, right? How many of you leave your sd card in your kindle?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I do not remove the SD card.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it drain your battery? or make the kindle any slower?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Not that I can tell in either case. It is a 16 gig card, not nearly full obviously. I have music on there as well.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
libros_lego said:
I'd like to leave my sd card in my kindle so when the kindle is done indexing, the battery life will go back to normal, right? How many of you leave your sd card in your kindle?
I did leave my SD card in for a long time - until I had enough books that the indexing took so long. I suppose I could've just let it stay plugged in until the indexing was completed, or plugged it in overnight every night, but I was lazy & just left it out, and keep it in the pocket of the cover. I actually transferred some books from SD to my Kindle last night, and considered leaving it in to see what would happen - but since I noticed the battery go down a bit just in the 20-30 minutes I had the card in, I took it out again. It's not a big card, it's just that there's probably 10-12 pages worth of books on it, and it just takes awhile for that indexing to happen.

You might never have a problem with it - you can leave it in and hopefully never have any issues. But if somewhere, sometime down the line your battery starts to drain really quickly, before you rush out to buy a new battery, pull the SD card out (make sure you turn off your Kindle first!) and see if that's the problem. Then you can leave it plugged in & charging until it finishes indexing, or take it out - whatever works for you. ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks intinst and meemo! So my kindle is fully charged today after a night of indexing so I'll just see how it goes...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ok, really dumb question. I know I should know this but What is indexing? I don't think I've ever seen mine doing it or know that it's been done LOL. 

Oh and does it only happen with wispernet on??

theresam

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Ok, really dumb question. I know I should know this but What is indexing? I don't think I've ever seen mine doing it or know that it's been done LOL.

Oh and does it only happen with wispernet on??

theresam
Somebody smarter about tech stuff than me can explain it better than I can, but essentially the Kindle goes through the books & indexes them so that when you do a search it can find what you're searching for. I know that's a pretty lame explanation but that's the gist of it. You can tell how many things are remaining to be indexed by doing a search for something obscure (so you don't get too many hits). It will run the search, and if there are items left to be indexed it will tell you how many (it can't search the items that aren't indexed).

And no, Whispernet doesn't have to be on to perform indexing.

I just did it as an experiment. Searched for "purgatory". Found several hits, nothing remaining to be indexed. Put the SD card back in, ran the same search. 100 items not searchable. Apparently I have 100 items on my SD card. :) I might leave it in & plug it in overnight & leave it plugged in for awhile tomorrow, won't be reading in the morning anyway. Will see how long it takes to do that indexing....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks much Meemo! I guess I've never done a search for anything on my kindle.  Looks ike I have only 2 items not searchable.

theresam

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so my kindle was fully charged today and I've used it for less than twenty minutes. When I got home, the kindle was off so that meant that it ran out of battery. I charged it and some books are still being indexed. Hopefully, when the indexing is done, the battery life will be back to normal.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
libros_lego said:
Okay, so my kindle was fully charged today and I've used it for less than twenty minutes. When I got home, the kindle was off so that meant that it ran out of battery. I charged it and some books are still being indexed. Hopefully, when the indexing is done, the battery life will be back to normal.
I left my SD card (with the 100 books to be indexed) in my Kindle & the battery almost fully charged - about 4 hrs later it was down to maybe 20% charged & still had 86 books not yet indexed. I know I can't take the battery indicator literally, but it went from almost full to almost empty. Indexing eats the battery up! So it's plugged in now, and I'll try to leave it plugged in until the indexing is complete.
I'd forgotten the other reason I'd taken the SD card out - it shortens my home page considerably!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Meemo, let me know how it works out for you.  :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update: after my kindle was done indexing, the battery and page turns were back to normal

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Glad that is what the trouble was, now back to reading for you! :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Question:  After the Kindle indexes all the books on an SD card, if you take the card out for a while and then put in back in at a later date, does it have to index those books all over again?

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I was just wondering.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Meemo, glad you are back to normal!

DD--I don't know, I've not taken my SD card out since I put it in.  Anyone else?

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Like Betsy, I put my SD card in last fall and leave it there.  And I've not had any problems with indexing times related to it as far as I can tell.

Ann

1 - 20 of 32 Posts