Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The search engine terms people used to find "Red Adept Reviews" is rather mind-boggling.

Acid happy face (No drugs were used in the creation of my blog, with the small exceptions of nicotine and caffeine.)

Acid Smiley (Well, "acid" seems to be popular. Perhaps I should consult with my staff.)

Pinworm "flatulence" - (Yes, the quotes were included. They wanted specific pinworm info.)

wood rashe4 - (No idea what this means.)

Elegant man goosing a woman - (What? You don't search for things like this?)

Harruq tun  ???

Followers of sekhmet (I'm pretty sure I'm not one of these.)

Cartoon mouths

These are just in the last week.  :D

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Those are amazing! Is it asking a trade-secret or can you tell me how you find out what search engine words are connected with your site?  That is fascinating and could be very useful. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lynn ODell said:
Pinworm "flatulence" - (Yes, the quotes were included. They wanted specific pinworm info.)

Elegant man goosing a woman - (What? You don't search for things like this?)
These two made me really LOL.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lynn ODell said:
Does this mean I can't blame the dog anymore? :)

Or better yet ... the RAT ...??

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brendan Carroll said:
Those are amazing! Is it asking a trade-secret or can you tell me how you find out what search engine words are connected with your site? That is fascinating and could be very useful. Thanks for sharing.
It's no secret. I use Wordpress. These appear on my dashboard.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Harruq Tun is one of the half-orcs in Dalglish's Half-Orcs series.  You seemed confused by that one... had you folks reviewed any of those?

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gatehouseauthor said:
Harruq Tun is one of the half-orcs in Dalglish's Half-Orcs series. You seemed confused by that one... had you folks reviewed any of those?
Ah... I had forgotten. Yes, Mr. Dalglish has had more than one book reviewed on the site, so that one makes sense.

Now, can you explain the "Elegant man goosing a woman"? :D :D

I actually did a search for that phrase to see what page on my blog it would bring up. I couldn't find it by the eighth page of results, so I gave up. Whoever searched for that phrase really want to know about those men goosing a woman. :D

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Nearly any kind of "analytics" will record what people are searching on.  If you have a blogger blog, the built in "stats" feature lists it under "Traffic sources."  I'm sure that Google's formal Analytics feature does the same thing -- and probably records it longer -- but I haven't looked for it there.

I also use Wundercounter, and they don't break it out, but you can usually see what someone was searching for in the referral link.

Basically, anything that does a hit counter likely can also tell you where your hits are coming from.

Camille

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Lynn ODell said:
Harruq tun ???
That's one of the half-orc characters in David Dalglish's 5-book series ;)

The rest - I got nothin'.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Doug - brings up a great point regarding SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

Every file you upload (PDF, images, sound, etc), every page you make, every link (unless you use no-follow), every blog post you make, every comment you make at your website becomes text that Google and the other SE will gobble up and index

Also don't forget the hidden stuff: meta tags in the HEAD section of your pages (yeah, they say they ignore them but they still use them if they aren't spammy).

The work you do every day should be targeting and reinforcing your genre. Red Adept Reviews does reviews and editing services, so it is great advice to suggest to use keywords -- again, don't be spammy, be descriptive accurate -- to tailor this material.

Oh, and don't forget hashtags with Twitter for mini-SEO and if you want to intentionally make something less SE-friendly then use robots.txt and weird names like 2834590353chaoeae4ih3iiowho.jpg :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well done Doug!!  I hope you use your powers for good and not evil!!

No, Doug, come over to the dark side; though you may be able to Google it, you do not yet know the power of Pinworm Flatulence.  Join us, Doug, it is your density!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Budo von Stahl said:
Well done Doug!! I hope you use your powers for good and not evil!!

No, Doug, come over to the dark side; though you may be able to Google it, you do not yet know the power of Pinworm Flatulence. Join us, Doug, it is your density!
Can you shoot lightning from your fingers? If so, sign me up!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, it isn't exactly lightning, but it sure does clear a room.  ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Todd Russell said:
Doug - brings up a great point regarding SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

...every comment you make at your website becomes text that Google and the other SE will gobble up and index.
It also counts for every comment you write on every other blog that allows you to also post the link to your site. Here's an excerpt on comment writing from one of my early SEO eBooks using credit card RFID readers as an example:

I said it before and I'll say it again… If you write a good comment, people reading that blog and reading what others have to say about the subject will be more likely to click on your link and read more about your experience. Why? Well, because you're well thought out, genuine comment caught their attention. Do you think the person that posts a "Great job! I sell shoes" comment is going to get any attention from blog readers or the blog moderator? No!

If you want your comment to get noticed, give an actual opinion that the blogger, reader, and/or moderator would find interesting.

Don't be overly brown-nosey! I can't stress this enough. If I get one more comment saying "Wow! You're 100% right," I'm going to hurl. If you do agree 100%, at least make it sound like you aren't some poser trying to get on their good side. You can write something like:
"I'll give you points for stating that Credit Card RFID scanners are becoming more rampant and can be a contributor to identity theft. I have knowledge of this first hand and speak from experience, and it sounds like you do as well."

If you have an alternate opinion, state it! Don't be afraid to say that you disagree with something. Bloggers like that because it gives them a chance to address your argument.

I went back and forth with a guy commenting on a blog post about some SEO software that we bought and it was garbage. He argued the good points and we went back and forth for about a dozen comment threads. Even though his comment was to say I was wrong, I gladly approved and listed that comment because he not only made some good points, it showed he read the article and was providing more fodder for my blog site readers. Oh, and he was also selling a similar product from his website, which was included in every one of his comments. So they get an A+ in backlink generation because they took the time and did it right.

Be careful that you don't come across as too much of an ass-hat if you don't agree. On my political blog, I get called all kinds of names, but that's what a political blog climate is like. I still approve their comments if they are well written, pertain to the subject, and demonstrate to me that they read the article and are posting an opposing view. For a business, hobby, or organizational blog, those types of tactics may land you in the recycle bin of a sensitive blogger.

Be gentle in your disagreement and don't be disrespectful. One example might be:
"You say that Credit Card RFID scanners used in retail locations is nothing but a conspiracy theory. Well, I would have to disagree. I don't know who your sources are but I happened to have spoken to several people who…"

Notice how I still start out the comment by summarizing their point. This lets them know I am at least familiar with what the article was about. I'm blunt in my disagreement but I follow that up with an explanation of why I disagree.

Don't post something along the lines of:
"You're an idiot. You obviously don't know sh*t about RFID!"

Yeah… that's going to end up in the recycle bin. Be topical and controversial if you want, but always be respectful and well thought out.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Lynn ODell said:
Now, can you explain the "Elegant man goosing a woman"? :D :D
You don't remember that scene from my book?

I feel offended and hurt.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts