Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any plan to improve the search function? The current one pretty much sucks to put it bluntly. There's a much better search function in vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 for one option.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
We're planning on staying a SMF forum.  Harvey is planning to upgrade the SMF software to 2.0 at some point in the future when real life gives him time for the project.

In the meantime, I'm generally able to find most things I look for.  I'll give the Google search (lower right hand corner of the grey menu grouping on every forum page) a try first.  If that doesn't work, I'll use the search function in the blue menu bar below the grey menu group.  This one works best if limited to a specific forum rather than use forum wide.  Searching forum wide has, in the past, locked up the forum.

There are very few things I'm unable to find using one of these methods.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
There are a couple of different search functions. . . .one or the other may be better depending specifically on what you are searching.

The Google powered one at the upper right is going to find more stuff -- but won't go back nearly as far. And it lists threads but also 'print format' pages which I don't particularly like. :-\

The board search one, 4th from the left in the menu bar, is very powerful if you have a really good idea of the search term and lets you narrow it by board or even topic title. I get really good results on that if searching for a book title or a specific help topic because I can narrow down where it should search.

But the best search method may be to post in the appropriate board that you're looking for information on <whatever> and are there any other earlier threads that cover it. . . .we've got a crack bunch of members who probably wanted to know the same thing at some point and will be able to find old threads faster than you can enter search terms! :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I'd like to be able to do for instance is find all posts by a specific user for the last xx days without having to include a specific term as well. When I click search and put in username "username" (whatever it may be) and set it for 9 days instead of 9999 days it comes back and says oops you forgot to put in a search term.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
LDB said:
One thing I'd like to be able to do for instance is find all posts by a specific user for the last xx days without having to include a specific term as well. When I click search and put in username "username" (whatever it may be) and set it for 9 days instead of 9999 days it comes back and says oops you forgot to put in a search term.
easier way to find posts by a specific poster....

go to "members". then you can search for the member. once you have them, you'll see their profile and can look at their most recent posts.

if the person has been on line in the last 90 minutes, you can just click on their name in the list of active posters, which will again take you their profile.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
LDB said:
For me, the quickest way to find a member's past posts is to click on their name in a post, as tipsy said.

If a post by the member isn't readily available, the quickest way I've found is to go to the Google search box above the blue menu bar, put in the member's name and "profile." Like "tipsy telstar profile." One of the links shown will be the member's profile page. Click on "Show posts" in the left hand side and you'll see all their posts from most recent back.

Betsy

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
For me, the quickest way to find a member's past posts is to click on their name in a post, as tipsy said.

If a post by the member isn't readily available, the quickest way I've found is to go to the Google search box above the blue menu bar, put in the member's name and "profile." Like "tipsy telstar profile." One of the links shown will be the member's profile page. Click on "Show posts" in the left hand side and you'll see all their posts from most recent back.

Betsy
i was afraid betsy had to translate my tipsy post....

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
You can indeed go to members in the blue menu bar, and then "search for members" and do the search.  Then click on the name to see the profile and then "show posts."  I just find it quicker to do the Google search (in the right hand corner of the grey menu grouping above the menu bar for "name profile.")  A three step process.
;)

Betsy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts