Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to specify wildcard characters in search terms? I have been using the K2's notes feature to add tags to my books' title pages, as suggested by a KB member, to facilitate finding books. I always use the phrase "MyTags: " followed by a list of words that I want to be able to search for, and giving each term a prefix so that the tage is less likely to occur natually in a book somewhere.

For instance, my tags in Sharpe's Tiger are: "MyTags: mtFiction mtHistoricalFiction mtSharpe01"

By way of example, say that I would like to be able to search for all of the books in the Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, which I have similarly tagged. I thought I would be able to search for "mtSharpe" and get them all, but the numerals that I included in the tag (which identify the book number in the series) mess things up.

So, does anyone know how to make that search work, or will I have to drop the sequence numbers from my tags?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
So, when you serach for "mtSharpe" it doesn't find it because it's looking for the whole word "mtSharpe01"?  Have you tried searching for "mtSharpe*" ?  That's the only way I could think to make it work.

(oh, and I'm moving this thread to tips and tricks. . . .:))

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I expected "mtSharpe*" to work too, but it did not.  I suspect it inteprets the string literally, and is actually trying to find a word with an asterisk in it.  If it was instead interpreting the asterisk as a wildcard character, then "mtSharpe**" should have matched with "mtSharpe01" and "mtSharpe02" but I got no results returned.  Could be that they are using a different character for the wildcard, but I do not what it is.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Well, then, I think what you'll have to do is change your tags.  make one mtsharpe and then mt01, mt02, etc. to indicate the number in the series.  I think you'll only be able to search on one tag at a time, though. . . . .so you can either find all the 'sharpe' books or find all the books that are first in a series, for example.

I plan to play with tags when I get my DX and will report any discoveries I make.  :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts