Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a book on my Kindle that lists info in month order, and within that, by year. I would love to be able to shift the book to my PC so I can search for the information I need. As it is, if I don't know the month the event I want took place, it means going through the whole book to see if what I want is in there!
If I cannot search, then I'll probably never use the book. Any ideas?

Jen

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
You can do searches on a Kindle...which Kindle do you have?

EDIT:  On the Paperwhite, within the book, I tap on the top to get the menu bar, then tap on the magnifying glass.  On the far left, it should say "This Book."  I can change that to be "My Items," the Kindle Store, the dictionary or Wikipedia, but leave it at "This Book."  Tap in the search field and the onscreen keyboard will pop up.  tap on the Right-arrow next to the search field to perform the search.

A list of the locations where that search term appears in the book, with context.  You can then tap on the search result that you want.  If that isn't the right one, bring up the top menu bar again and hit the left arrow to go back to the search results screen.

EDIT:  On the basic Kindle, within the book, press the menu button.  Select "Search this book" from the menu.  The onscreen menu will popup.  Using the five way controller, enter your search term and select "Done."  This will return you to the search field.  Use the five way controller to select find and press to do the search.

As with the PW,  list of locations with context will be displayed.  Select the one you want.

Hope this helps.

Betsy

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
You can also search in Kindle for PC.
Yeah, I find it easier to search books on Kindle for PC - if it's a Kindle book, you need only download and install Kindle for PC/Mac and register and your cloud will be available to download the book from. Give it a couple minutes after downloading the book to index before searching. If it's a book you side loaded onto your Kindle and there's no DRM, you should be able to copy/move the file to your computer (if it's not already there) and after installing Kindle for PC/Mac, you should be able to just double click the file and it will open in Kindle for PC. Then just click on the icon that looks like a magnifying glass on the left hand side to bring up the search bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts