Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "price low to high" feature is just way too broad. If I wanted to search for all Kindle books priced at, say, 99 cents, is there any way to do that? (Either through Amazon itself or an outside site.) That would be helpful in narrowing things down.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I also narrow my search as much as possible.  Genre, sub-genre, four stars plus.  It really cuts down on the number of pages and I can usually get to the 99 cent books by the third or fourth page. 

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
CS said:
The "price low to high" feature is just way too broad. If I wanted to search for all Kindle books priced at, say, 99 cents, is there any way to do that? (Either through Amazon itself or an outside site.) That would be helpful in narrowing things down.
I was wondering the same thing earlier this evening... It would be nice even if they had price breakdowns with price ranges... 0.00 - 2.99, 3.00-4.99, or something like that. Does anyone think it would do any good to suggest something like this?? Where would we begin?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Angela, but the above suggestions do help a lot (even if Amazon's system is somewhat imperfect). I'm finding a lot of cheap books (under $3) by Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels. Anyone familiar with them? I just saw one by Robin Cook, who I've heard of but never read. Even a James Patterson novel was in there, but the reviews were horrible.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
CS said:
I agree with Angela, but the above suggestions do help a lot (even if Amazon's system is somewhat imperfect). I'm finding a lot of cheap books (under $3) by Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels. Anyone familiar with them? I just saw one by Robin Cook, who I've heard of but never read. Even a James Patterson novel was in there, but the reviews were horrible.
Elizabeth Peters has a long series about a Victorian, I think, art historian and her husband's adventures in Egypt solving mysteries. They are entertaining I read many of them before moving on to other things. Barbara Michaels tends toward romantic suspense thriller. I've read a couple and they were good beach reads.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Elizabeth Peters has a long series about a Victorian, I think, art historian and her husband's adventures in Egypt solving mysteries. They are entertaining I read many of them before moving on to other things. Barbara Michaels tends toward romantic suspense thriller. I've read a couple and they were good beach reads.
Amelia Peabody and her husband Emerson (and more recently their son Ramses<a nickname> and his wife and their two kids) are Egyptologists. The series starts in the late 1800's when it was 'not done' that a woman should aspire to such a career. There are probably near 20 titles now. All good stories -- the author is, in fact, an Egyptologist herself so they're reasonably accurate as to all that. But she doesn't take it too seriously -- it's all meant to be fun. The first one is Crocodile on a Sandbank, not yet Kindlized. Best to start there and go forward as the characters mature throughout the series. There are some stand alones by Elizabeth Peters as well and also a short series featuring Vicki Bliss.

Barbara Michaels is the same human being, if you weren't aware. Romantic Suspense, as Betsy mentioned, with some supernatural stuff occasionally thrown in. Nothing too extreme though. Her real name is Barbara Mertz and she lives in Frederick county, MD where I grew up. She has some non-fiction Egyptology books published under her own name I believe as well.

Ann

·
Registered
829 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Elizabeth Peters has a long series about a Victorian, I think, art historian and her husband's adventures in Egypt solving mysteries. They are entertaining I read many of them before moving on to other things.
Betsy
I was looking at these the other day as I've always been interested in Egypt but they didn't have the first one on Kindle so I moved on..... I like to start with the first if it is a series book and go in order. Many series books can be read as stand alones but I can't bring myself to break the pattern..... I'm going to keep checking the first to see if it is ever Kindleized.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Amelia Peabody and her husband Emerson (and more recently their son Ramses<a nickname> and his wife and their two kids) are Egyptologists.
Barbara Michaels is the same human being, if you weren't aware. Romantic Suspense, as Betsy mentioned, with some supernatural stuff occasionally thrown in. Nothing too extreme though. Her real name is Barbara Mertz and she lives in Frederick county, MD where I grew up. She has some non-fiction Egyptology books published under her own name I believe as well.

Ann
Ann, I didn't realize that they were one and the same. Or if I knew it, I'd long forgotten. I was going to say Amelia Peabody was an Egyptologist, but I was trying to find the era they were in and a review described her as an art historian. It's been awhile since I read the books....thanks for setting me straight!

Betsy

Betsy

·
Registered
835 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I also narrow my search as much as possible. Genre, sub-genre, four stars plus. It really cuts down on the number of pages and I can usually get to the 99 cent books by the third or fourth page.
I also do it this way. For example, under Kindle Books, on the left side I click Fiction, then Historical Fiction, then 4 stars & up. And then I click on the price from low to high. It narrows it down enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts