1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpt from a 5/28/09 Seattle Times article by Amy Martinez:

But is the Kindle making any money yet?

Bezos' response seemed to be "no."

Amazon's digital-media business is in "investment mode," he said, noting that the Kindle took more than three years to develop.

"If something is successful, it seems to take five to seven years or more before it's a positive contributor to the economics," he said.
The entire article: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2009273587_webamazon28.html

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad to see Bezos takes a long range view. I think he's right & that in the end they'll make a ton of money. I think the book industry as a whole stands to benefit from doing away with all of the infrastructure devoted solely to the print artifacts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kindle is to Amazon as Razor is to Gillette. The profit is not in the razor/Kindle; it's in the razor blades/books.

How many books have you purchased for your K that you would not have bought in hard/soft cover?

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Elmo said:
How many books have you purchased for your K that you would not have bought in hard/soft cover?
:D All of them :D

Well, not quite true: there are one or two that I probably would have gotten when they came out anyway, but most of what's on my Kindle are books that would likely have been off my radar without it. . . . .

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Elmo said:
Very good point. I am reading so many new authors because of the Kindle/Kindleboards.
deb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts