Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just released a new Zombie story, and it is pretty obvious that Horror would be one category.

Then I come to fantasy -> Urban vs Contemporary vs Paranormal

I did Google definitions, and it seemed like Urban Fantasy was closest (i.e. takes place in a city and has "creatures".. though they usually seem to be vampires or werewolves and mind are zombies).

There's no romance (no buff naked zombie chests), and maybe urban and paranormal suggest that. ??? But it occurs to me it might fall into sci fi because it is set slightly in the future, and starts in a cryonics laboratory with a scientist attempting revivals. 

Anybody care to suggest a 2nd category? Amazon, why you gotta' make this so hard?  ???

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BrianKittrell said:
Sci Fi if the source is science fiction. Paranormal fantasy if the cause is occult in nature. If the cause isn't determined early, go for another horror category or possibly thriller if there is a lot of action. Just my $0.02
Thanks, I think Sci Fi is the right answer. I don't know why I got stuck on the fantasy stuff. This story just doesn't have that feel.

G

·
Is there a dystopian / post-apocalyptic sub category somewhere?  That would probably be a good place.  I don't think any of the sci fi sub-categories on Amazon include that kind of stuff, though post-apocalyptic definitely falls under the science fiction umbrella. 

What is Wool categorized under?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, just to split hairs, I slotted Raft People (post-apocalyptic, sea level rise) as Alternate History and Sci Fi Adventure, and it seems to do OK there even though it doesn't seem like a perfect fit. i.e. it takes place slightly in the future (not alternate past-history) and really doesn't have any science fiction elements like future tech. Readers don't seem to be as nitpicky about the categories as I am, so maybe it's not such a big deal.

I'm going to start out with horror and sci fi general. Sci Fi Adventure might be better but typically those are different types of books.

In my mind, this book is more like a Twilight Zone episode. I wish there was a post-apocalyptic category on the list. Maybe there is but its one of those "email amazon CS" things and I don't want to go there right now.

Thanks guys for helping me clear this up in my mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I tend to chunk zombies into "Magic v. Science" myself. Magic involves curses, necromancy, demons, and other such things, whereas science is more like experiments, viruses, or nanotechnology gone wrong, or alien parasites or something.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Here's an off the wall suggestion: humor.

Depending on the nature of the novel, zombies are often in the "not scary" horror classification for some readers. Kind of how vampires and werewolves have made it into the romance categories.

Not sure your book has humorous elements to it, but if there are any scenes of fighting off zombies that you expect your reader to laugh at the odd weapon used, etc. I would give a try at humor. It might bring a new cross section of readers who would like your book, but never venture into horror to go find a good book to read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts