Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran a database update to hide everyone's email address in their profile. This means that other members cannot view your email address.

If you wish to make your email address visible to other registered forum members, you can do this by going to Profile > Account Related Settings, and uncheck the 'Hide email address from public' checkbox. You'll need to enter your password at the bottom of the screen and click on the 'Change Profile' button.

Some background on why we made this change:

By default, our forum software makes your email address visible to others who are registered to the forum. This really ought to work the other way around, for security reasons.

A friend of mine who is a Security MVP for Microsoft suggested to me that I update this, so that members have to deliberately "opt in" to make their email address visible to other members. This helps protect the privacy of your email address.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Thanks for always thinking of us, Harvey.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thank you Harvey!
Mary Ann

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thank you, Harvey. 
deb

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Shizu said:
Thank you, Harvey. This was one of my concern when I joined. :D
Shizu, your Avatar is so cute it always makes me forget what I was going to say....

Oh, yeah--One could always opt out of a public email address, but this way is much better! Way to go, Harvey!

Betsy

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Thanks, Harvey.

Truthfully though, I always use a secondary e-mail address for message boards, mailing lists, contests, etc. If it gets spammed, no biggie.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Me too.  Actually I have some single purpose email addresses, specifically for some forums and groups I belong to. ;D  They all come into the same mailbox, though.

Betsy

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Same here,but I appreciate Harvey looking out for us all, anyway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
And another thank you from me as well.  In this day and age it is better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I notice that even though I checked hide address from members mine was still showing. 

~Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts