Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a cover for a futuristic science fiction adventure, with just a hint of romance here and there.

It's a little busy, I know, but I wanted something eye-catching. In the story, every city is like an Asian-influenced Las Vegas. Test-tube beings of perfection roam the streets among humans. Bruised "James Dean" is a private detective with little regard for "borgs", as he calls them. Then he's hired to bring in a pink-haired borg who's missed her required physical at the DNA lab. He doesn't anticipate her over-protective brother, or the shocking reason she's hiding.

That's not the actual blurb, just a quick explanation. But I'm wondering what first impressions of the cover are. Namely, clickable or not? Good title color? Any suggested changes? It's been suggested that I move one of the characters into the background more, but it's difficult to change their sizes with how the photos were already cut. Can't zoom out to full body view from a waist-up portrait, that kind of thing.

Any feedback would be great. I'm not sensitive. :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'd be careful using the word "borg" since it's pretty associated with Star Trek and might be trademarked or something.

As for the cover, it is too busy. Pick an audience and genre you are aiming at. Is it SF mainly? Is it detective fiction? Then focus on that for the cover and branding. If you can't place your book in a genre, neither will your audience and they'll go find something that tells them what it is more clearly. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Cat said:
I'd be careful using the word "borg" since it's pretty associated with Star Trek and might be trademarked or something.

As for the cover, it is too busy. Pick an audience and genre you are aiming at. Is it SF mainly? Is it detective fiction? Then focus on that for the cover and branding. If you can't place your book in a genre, neither will your audience and they'll go find something that tells them what it is more clearly. :)
That's a good point. I didn't even think about that. Just shortened "cyborg." Hmmm. And if push comes to shove, I can tone down the background a little.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really like the cover in its large size, but that's not how it will be seen by your prospects. The cool detachable face thing disappears completely in the thumbnail. My first impression was gritty romance, based on the font you use for your name, and based on the title.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, it IS something of a gritty romance... that takes place in a futuristic science fiction world. I decided to ease off on the romance later, but if that's how it first comes across anyway, I might as well stick with it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The cover is very busy.  I can't tell that it's a cyborg in the thumbnail version.  Looks like he's wearing sunglasses or something.  The three characters are not filtered or blended the same so it looks cut and pasted in.  The font for the title doesn't seem to fit well.  Cyberpunk background with WWII Soviet looking pain letters.  Unfortunately I would not click this cover.

Asian themed Las Vegas?  I would so live there!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I like the graphic design aspect. Very creative, Lara. However, like the others, I'm also a touch worried about how busy it is. Feels a little bit like you're trying to do too much ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the cover, but if I were you I'd make the pink haired girl and your main character the centerpiece. The pink haired girl says "blade runnerish" sci-fi, the James Dean guy doesn't really. It does look a little bit cut and pasted.

Also not that it's a huge nitpick or that you'd want to change it, but the title "Urban Love" doesn't scream sci-fi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback, all! I'm not sure how to make it not look cut-and-paste, which is my biggest worry. They're all behind a couple photo filters already, so beyond some blurring, I'm not sure what I could do. But it needs to be fixed, I think. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ooookay, so...in thumbnail I just see two guys looking rather intense.  And natch, I think "totes gay."  Not a bad thing, for me.  ;D  But if that's not the case, maybe...IDK...girl more prominent?  Spell it out clearly in the blurb what sort of romance will be in the book?  Just some thoughts.  :-*

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HSh said:
Ooookay, so...in thumbnail I just see two guys looking rather intense. And natch, I think "totes gay." Not a bad thing, for me. ;D But if that's not the case, maybe...IDK...girl more prominent? Spell it out clearly in the blurb what sort of romance will be in the book? Just some thoughts. :-*
It is gay romance, but I'm wary of shouting about it too much because I don't want the stock models to file a suit or anything crazy. *Sigh* I just don't know. It's not like it'll be graphic, but it's a slippery slope.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it's a gay romance, I might take the girl out completely. I see that she's in the story, but it may confuse readers at first glance if they're looking for M/M fiction.

Personally, I might also tone down the background a little so the characters pop. Looking at the cover, my eyes don't really know where to settle. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would remove both of the male characters from the cover, or at least those images. They strike me as something from a mid-20th century detective story (especially the one on the left, the guy in the suit isn't as bad). The small sci-fi details on the guy wearing a suit do not stick out enough to affect the first impression.

The background is interesting, and I completely agree with Micah that the pink-haired girl should be your focus with the cover. However, if you do this then it's important that you change the title, because pink-haired girl with "Urban Love" doesn't say action/sci-fi/detective. However, pink-haired girl with "Prometheus Protocol" would be fine.

I'd also change the title font to something more futuristic/sci-fi.

Edit: Didn't see the mention about gay romance (would this be mentioned in the blurb?). In that case, there's no need for the girl. I would keep the image of the guy on the right but completely replace the left one. I'd still go with a different title.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All right, well I'm about to go to sleep. I don't know if the cover is better, but I've been messing with it a little... adding some drop shadows and such. I might change the title and font. I haven't decided yet.

The true test, as always, will be to see if I wake up in the morning loving it or hating it. Author name could use a little more tweaking for visibility's sake. Maybe a little burn behind it. I'm pretty attached to all three characters, simply because they fit my characters so well. For example, smoking is illegal in the future, but the private detective has something of an attitude and smokes anyway. Things like that. They're a bizarre trio, I'll admit, but I gotta love 'em.

Thanks for all the feedback and coming along for the ride! :) I'll keep working on it over here in the corner...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts