Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, and I'm looking for gift recommendations. He only reads nonfiction (no matter how much I beg, whine, or wheedle) and he very strangely, very specifically was looking for nonfic on the Mexican drug cartels. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

If not on that topic in particular, what about other nonfic? He enjoys all Malcolm Gladwell (but has read all the books) and I gave him THE CHECKLIST MANIFESTO by Atul Gawande, which he liked too. He's a business-oriented guy, so he's read a lot of those popular titles (DRIVE, GAIN, etc.) but maybe not newer ones.

Thanks!
Kristan

G

·
I'm not sure about the mexican cartels, but if he's interested in business Sir John Harvey Jones' autobiography (Getting it Together) is an interesting read about his early career, and turning round ICI.

Other non-fiction? I'd always give a mention to Rolt's biography of Brunel - while the language is dated, the book remains gripping - but I'm not sure it's out on Kindle.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendations!

My boyfriend doesn't have a Kindle (I do) so that's not a requirement. He does have an iPad, but since this is for a gift, I'd probably buy the physical book anyway.

Kristan

·
Registered
606 Posts
If he's into business-oriented nonfiction, he might like Disneywar by James Stewart. It goes into how the Walt Disney Co was built, their 1970s slump resulting from not thinking ahead, how the company reinvented itself under Michael Eisner's tenure, and how Eisner eventually left, and all the corporate politics that played into things. You get to see the movies you grew up with, along with the decisions and politics behind them. It focuses primarily on Eisner and takes you through the 1990s. I really enjoyed it. Hope it helps! DisneyWar

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, DISNEYWAR is a great recco, b/c he already has it and loved it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
He might like KILLING PABLO, by Mark Bowden, who wrote BLACK HAWK DOWN.

As wikipedia says:  detailing the efforts by both the United States government and the Colombian government to stop illegal activities committed by Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar and his subordinates.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll definitely check out KILLING PABLO, thanks!

He's read FREAKONOMICS, but not SUPER FREAKONOMICS.

I really appreciate all the reccos, y'all!

Kristan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts