Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to KBoards.  Hi all!  ;D

I'm hoping for some shared wisdom.  Now, I'm not a fool, I know there is no 'quick fix', but I have a question I'm hoping you, as much more experienced writers, will be able to help me with.

I have some good reviews on my short story following a KDP free download offer.  The problem is this hasn't converted to any sales.  Zip. Nada. Zilch. Rien du Tout.

I was quite excited by the reviews and just, naively probably, assumed that these would help with sales.  (Goes and stands in the corner and slaps self - naughty stupid Krissy.)

Any advice appreciated, taken on board and actioned!  :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi!  8)

More books.

I had the same problem. One book for almost two years.  Got good reviews too.  Now we have 13 books/comics/collections.    :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Heavycat and thanks for your reply!  That's an awesome list of books well done!

Did you find that it just sort of took care of itself once you started writing more?

I've put the first chapter of the follow up book at the end of the first one and my email, blog and twitter.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks!  Unfortunately it doesn't take care of itself but if you have more books, you have more opportunities to do promotions, and those who like one might be better inclined to buy the others.  :D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi Krissy and welcome to KB.  Where are the review(s) you speak of?  I see 1 3* review on AMZN.  Maybe they are on AMZN.UK?  The one on US does talk a bit about editing errors so I'd clean them up.  As far as getting sales, I'd just try to be more active and get yourself some author blog interviews, participate in FB groups, grab a twitter account, comment on other author blogs, comment here on KB, there is no "about the author" on AMZN (update that), update your author profile on authorcentral.com.  Nothing is easy and it's a marathon...not a sprint.

Great cover, BTW!

·
Registered
160 Posts
As others have stated, more books is your best bet because a reader who gets your book on a free day has something else to actually buy from you.  Having one offering means that the most you can hope for from someone getting the book on a free day is that they write you a good review or maybe tell some people.  I like that you are adding the chapter from your next work though as you might hook some readers that way.  Best of luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
As others have stated, work on craft first and foremost. A good rule for me is: things must go south fairly consistently for my main character.

Select is dead at this point unless you've been in the game a long time. The constant algo changes wrecked it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

thank you all for taking the time to reply. 

The Amazon.com review was the first one I got and I edited again once I saw the mention of mistakes.  I don't have anyone to proofread for me so thought I had got them all!  I've had four really good reviews on .co.uk but still only 10 sales  :'(

I'm going to plod along and get the next one out and see how it goes.  I've set up a twitter account, blog and facebook.

Thanks for the nice comments on the cover!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi Krissy!
I've heard people say that short stories don't sell that well, so maybe you should make the next installment full-length and make the first story/novella perma-free? That seems to be working well for some authors. Of course, I wouldn't know because I only have one full-length book so far, so I'm no wise elder, I'm just butting in here really  ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts