Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about halfway through with my next novel. I'm wondering if I should self-publish it. My shorts collection gets more sales at $.99 than the books my publishers have published. My publishers price my books between $5.99 and $6.55. I feel if I could lower the prices, I could get more sales. But I wouldn't have the professional editing and promotional opportunities that my publisher now does for me. I'm wondering what I should do. Any advice?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they'd go for it. With my old publisher, I begged about four times for them to drop the price for a limited time on the first book in an urban fantasy series to get interest in it and they wouldn't do it. Publishers pay a lot to get a book in shape and publishable. But the books aren't selling at the higher price.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
To maximize revenue indie is the best bet - at the moment.  A lot depends on what kind of advance you are getting, how long before they put it on market etc.  Is your current pubisher a "small press" - if so definitely go solo.  If a major publisher and a six-figure advance - well then there are other things to take into consideration.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Given the recent movements in the market, I'd be slightly leary of being constrained within a publishing contract now.  "Indies" as a term is losing a fair bit of its stigma/prejudice with the likes of Amanda (and many of our own KB authors) making it up the ranks very quickly.

As far as professionalism, you can still get a good edit/proof/typset, you just have to contract people to do it, but there's plenty of them out there.

Good luck either way :)

Paul.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Loaded question. It all depends. What kind of following do you currently have? What kind of promotion do they offer? What % of sales does it generate? What kind % of growth in sales would a price reduction generate for you? Would you be willing to get your own editing? How much are you willing to pay for it or do you know an editor who would do it for free (I'm getting my books done pro bono)?

To me, in order to self-publish you need to be able to market yourself successfully, have stories plenty of readers would want to read (and professional and clean) and view the entire thing as a business, oh and be patient. I think the potential rewards are well worth the risks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, a lot of great advice. I'm leaning toward self-publishing. I can edit, I have an editing service, but I think I'd rather have another editor proofread and I can pay for that. I haven't done all the promotional things my publisher provided me, just starting a virtual book tour. I'll see how that goes in sales before I make the decision, but I'll probably self-publish.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
lisarusczyk said:
I'm about halfway through with my next novel. I'm wondering if I should self-publish it. My shorts collection gets more sales at $.99 than the books my publishers have published. My publishers price my books between $5.99 and $6.55. I feel if I could lower the prices, I could get more sales. But I wouldn't have the professional editing and promotional opportunities that my publisher now does for me. I'm wondering what I should do. Any advice?
Don't worry about it for now. Finish the book. Make sure that your publisher doesn't have right of first refusal (some do with series). But really, for now, just keep focused on finishing it. If you start worrying now about editing and cover art, it will just be a distraction. See where things are at when you've got a book that you think is at editing stage.

FWIW.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
You may not have a choice in the matter.  Most publishers are loathe to publish short story collections.  I would give them the option of turning it down first, however.  Can't hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I self publish but those of us who are self-publishers have to work really hard to promote our books. Promotion is an important part of marketing a book. if no one knows about your book no one will be able to buy it. Reviews are also a really good way to get your book known. However a traditional publisher offers more than just creating, distributing and marketing books. They also edit, do the cover art, do the printing, shipping, and uploading.. Self publishing can be very rewarding but it's a lot of hard work. However you might find this article interesting The Numbers Game

·
Registered
102 Posts
My experience with publishers is not entirely good. I published my book with them about 10 years ago and I have not received a significant income.

Currently publishers do not do much more than put the book on amazon (as well as other websites) and keep a % of what should be yours. It is true that many of them have a better arrival in bookstores and physical stores, but that form of sale tends to disappear.

I think that most publishers are not in a position to offer something worthwhile, they take advantage of good writers who are themselves "computer illiterate" and see the fact of uploading a book to amazon or other websites as an impossible feat. They never offer a win-win deal, the deal is highly unbalanced towards them.

It is fair to say that I am dedicated to technical literature (not fiction), and that I have no experience with fiction where things could be different. That said, my advice is to avoid publishers and always self-publish.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Oh wow, what an old blog post! I wonder if there's an update. I'm a big fan of being indie, but I think that post is ridiculous. There's no way an author, on their own, will get the same kind of sales as they would with a 200k trad advance. That's the level of advance where the publisher is actually making an effort to promote you.

Very few indie books make 200k. That the 200k advances. Take the 400k.

Now, if the advance is 20k, that's a different story. But I'd think pretty hard about any six figure advance, even though I could make more on my own. I've beat that number many times. But I've also not beat it many times. There's no such thing as a sure thing. And, for the right advance, I'd welcome the opportunity to diversify my income streams and reach a new, trad only audience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts