Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, they're graphic novels and she sells them for 9.99 with a paperback around 17, I think. But she made most of that 60 million when Netflix optioned her books for a series. And Scholastic picked her up, so I'm not sure we can call her self-published. She may have started that way, but when she trended, someone at Scholastic picked her up and pushed her hard. She writes LGBTQ+ YA (real YA, not NA posing as YA), so it was also a matter of the right time.

ETA: Oh, also, she shunned the gay YA trope of one of the characters dying and hit an under-served target: 13-15 boys who are growing up in a time when the frat-bro aesthetic is no longer on point.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if she sells her books for 4.99.
Don't know how much when self-published but Hodder has the ebooks from $5 to $6 on Amazon.com when viewed from Portugal.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It's not that Netflix optioned the series. Lots of series get options. An option doesn't really do much, on its own.

Netflix made the series and the series became very, very popular.

The books might be great and she did start as an indie, but I'm not sure you can really point to this as indie success anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts