Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding self publishing novels/articles/poems/etc on kindle if the submitter is not the author.
My son creates beautiful stories, and I would like to Publish them under his name

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
NewAuthor said:
I have a question regarding self publishing novels/articles/poems/etc on kindle if the submitter is not the author.
My son creates beautiful stories, and I would like to Publish them under his name
No problem. You can publish your son's work by setting yourself up as his publisher and your son as the author.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Would the son be able to get paid directly, or would the book's sales go to his mother?

I'm glad this was posted, because I've been wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Personally, if you are expecting/hoping for any sort of non-trivial income from this -- or maybe just any income at all -- I would suggest consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your location. There could be child labor laws in effect here which you need to address, you might have certain legal requirements as his guardian to ensure some certain portion of the money goes to him (perhaps in a trust fund?), etc.

Any well-intentioned advice from this forum will not protect you in court (God forbid it should ever come to that!) should that advice be wrong for your legal jurisdiction (and, in fact, might also get the advice-giver in trouble).

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
NewAuthor said:
How old is the son? Over 18, write up a contract giving you the right to publish his works, and specify each by title and exactly what publishing rights he's giving you (digital if you're publishing Kindle-only.) However, you still set yourself up for something sticky unless you are set up as a business.

If he's not over 18...you might want to wait. Aside from any potential legal sticking points, what a person writes at 13 is vastly different than at 18 or 25, and he may want those stories unpublished so that when he's older he can fine tune them and sell them then--if you publish them now, you've taken his first rights away, which diminishes their value considerably.

CS said:
Would the son be able to get paid directly, or would the book's sales go to his mother?
Sales go to the publisher; payment is then disbursed to the author by the publisher at agreed upon rates.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
This is interesting to see how the process works. If the child/author is underage can he still join into a contract with a publisher? Even if that publisher is his parent or not?

I don't have a child author this is just out of my own curiosity bouncing off of the OP

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
koolmnbv said:
This is interesting to see how the process works. If the child/author is underage can he still join into a contract with a publisher? Even if that publisher is his parent or not?
Yes...as long as someone who is legally able to make decisions on behalf of the child enters into the contract.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts