Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some terrific self-pub geniuses, like Dean Wesley Smith and Robin Sullivan, say that it's important to make your self-published book look like a "mainstream" title. To do that, you have to treat your self-publishing like a serious business. Putting a publisher's name and logo on your book is a good first step.

Thus, I've launched "AVENGER BOOKS" as the imprint for HUNTER and other forthcoming fiction. A good, memorable name under which to publish a "vigilante" thriller series, don't you think? I did all the proper checks for the business name, and it was untaken. Now it's mine, with a registered domain name, too.

So here's the logo, as it will appear on the book's spine and interior:

Treating writing as a business doesn't stop at logos and names, though. I opened a business checking account, a post office box, and will soon launch a website for Avenger Books under "AvengerBooks.com," as well. All of this will further the impression in the book trade that the business is "for real."

Incidentally, if you like the logo and the HUNTER book cover, the artist is Allen Chiu. I think he's got amazing talent.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your logo didn't appear on my computer. Might want to check out the problem.

My wife and I publish our books under the corporate umbrella of Stray Dog Press, Inc. We've registered our business as an S-Corp, which comes with a $50 annual registration fee in Illinois and the need to file a corporate tax return at the state and federal levels. Incorporating provides protection in the event you are sued. It also tends to make you take the business aspects of publishing seriously. In that regard, it probably helps to build the business. Don't know if there are other advantages.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Suppose Joe Author has Title-X on Amazon under his own name. Now he forms JoCo to publish his stuff. Does he have to unpublish Title-X and resubmit using JoCo? Start all over again with Amazon accounts in the name of JoCo? Is there a way around this?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Terrence, I *think* you can just go in and edit your book and/or reupload the file with the tweaked information. I decided to publish my stories under Meankitty Publishing and that's all I did.

G

·
I publish under my business name, Bengi Publishing.

Amazon and PayPal deposit money into my personal bank account.

Not incorporated yet, but there are big advantages to being incorporated.

Practically everything becomes a deductibe business expense. Your corp can provide you with medical insurance, retirement benefits, etc.

But the price is that you have to maintain corporate records, with expenses authorized by the board (you can be the sole board member).

A close friend has 3 corps, and his wife has 2 for different business ventures.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm setting up a "publishing house", too, but more as an umbrella for the various genres that I know I want to write in the future. It's the only way I could think of to link it all.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Okey Dokey said:
I publish under my business name, Bengi Publishing.

Amazon and PayPal deposit money into my personal bank account.
I thought you had to have a checking account in the business name for the money to go to. No? You guys are telling me I could go in and just fill in the name of a publishing company on my already self-published Kindle books and it wouldn't affect payments?

Is it Create Space that has tougher requirements, or did I make it all up?

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's certainly an idea to consider, especially if there are significant assets involved.

I took a class from a lawyer once who said the dumbest thing he ever did was not placing his assets at a distance from himself. He had one bad business out of five that toppled and took down everything. He even ended up losing rights to trademarks that he controlled because they were defined as assets.

Marriage/divorce/bankruptcy/the unexpected, etc ... there are a lot of good reasons to put your work under the control of an business entity.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Content removed circa September 2018 after realizing this forum was bought by VerticalScope -- a foreign corporation with seemingly suspicious motives and a bad attitude apparently attempting to grab rights retroactively. They can have the rights to this statement!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but I think Crenel's advice is a good one. An S-Corp appears to be the best way to separate your self-published royalties/assets from your personal assets, and not have to pay the reaper an additional 15% (roughly...for self employment tax). As your logo/business stands, every check you receive will be subject to this tax...in order to claim the income under any bucket other than unprotected royalties (subject to self employment tax), you would have to set up the direct deposit of royalties (via KDP and createspace) into a qualified Corporation. I'm dragging my heels on this for no reason, and I know it is costing me money every time Amazon sends me a check. A 2K check costs costs you $300 at the end of the tax year.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It is a good idea. I created a brand for my books this year. Check the covers in my signiture. My site, Sinclair Books, has now over 20,000 hits a month, which I estimate will rise to 50,000 next month due to a couple of things I am doing. The brand is important, but only if you are helping others. Sinclair Books (the site) is all about author promotion and not so much my books. It raises the brand name and associates a positive to it. 

·
Registered
613 Posts
That sir, is  GREAT logo.

I am admittedly still confused on the cans and can-nots of publishing under your own small press name.  At one time, wouldn't that have been considered fraudulent?

·
Registered
547 Posts
At one time, wouldn't that have been considered fraudulent?
Would it be fraudulent if you never lie about it or obfuscate the truth? As well as never take submissions or pretend to be anything other than the label under which you personally decided to self-publish?

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"At one time, wouldn't that have been considered fraudulent?"

No. First, there is no fraud involved.

Second, the vast majority of corporations in the country are small S-Corps or LLCs. They are a tool for doing business, and there is nothing wrong with using them as discussed here.

One could use a LLC to commit fraud, but it's the conduct that makes it fraud, not the type of business organization.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.