Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to selling through Amazon, I was thinking that it makes sense to also sell directly to readers on a personal web site in order to hopefully keep a larger percentage of sales.

What tools make this a viable option? These are some of the methods I've come across:
* Gumroad
* Payhip
* Custom web site w/ Paypal

Are there any other tools people have come across that might be helpful?

Thank you!

Registered
Just bear in mind that, if you were to do that, you would miss the rankings boost that sending your buying traffic to Amazon would otherwise have given you.

Registered
My friend is doing this. He integrated Payhip on his Web site with Bookfunnel book delivery, if I'm not mistaken.
Sometimes, the "traditional" route to indie success, aka Amazon, isn't for everyone. If you feel this is a good fit for you, go for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Kathy Dee said:
Just bear in mind that, if you were to do that, you would miss the rankings boost that sending your buying traffic to Amazon would otherwise have given you.
Kathy Dee, thanks for bringing this up, which I hadn't spent much time considering.

How big of an impact might this make practically? For example, if I'm not a top 100 author in a niche, will anyone discover the book through a rankings list, anyways? Or does this maybe impact whether Amazon recommends the book?

Thanks for the feedback!

Registered
Kathy Dee said:
This is true for anyone who's wide, whether those sales go to iBooks or Kobo or wherever else. Presumably, people who are already wide don't care so much about Amazon algorithms.

I love the idea of authors selling their books directly, and I think there are definitely people who like to go directly to the creator when they can (to support small businesses).

I have a Wix website, and it's pretty easy to set up a store on Wix.

Registered
curious1998 said:
Kathy Dee, thanks for bringing this up, which I hadn't spent much time considering.

How big of an impact might this make practically? For example, if I'm not a top 100 author in a niche, will anyone discover the book through a rankings list, anyways? Or does this maybe impact whether Amazon recommends the book?

Thanks for the feedback!
The business of climbing the Amazon rankings was not accomplished with massive sales spikes, for me; it was accomplished by making consistent sales over a long period of time.

My bestselling books (over the 40 or so I have written, I only have 2 that have done this successfully, so do bear that in mind) both became bestsellers by selling a few books every day. As this meagre sales performance is much better than around 80% of the books in the store (just a guess) Amazon has no option but to move them up, and that increased visibility attracts more sales.

It is not an easy thing to get right - as I said, I have only 2 books that have climbed right to the top of the search results for their targeted search terms - but I would never think about selling those books directly and losing the tiny upward pressure (buoyancy) those few sales provide. Another poster pointed out that the same is true for KU/wide - exactly! That's why I am in KU.

(As always YMMV and all that stuff!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts