Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I have a question I'm hoping someone could help me with.  There are some local bookstores in my area and I'm working on getting a few copies of my book there.  Am I allowed to sell my books I buy from CS (CreateSpace) to stores?  I swore I read somewhere that for stores to buy your books they have to go through the EDC... which would give me damn near nothing as a royalty.  Whereas if I buy the copies as author copies and sell them to bookstores, I can actually make a royalty.

Is this allowed?

Thanks!

-jb 8)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Once you have it in your hands, you can do whatever you want with it.

What you have probably heard is that most bookstores do the majority of their purchasing through Ingram's, which is part of the Extended Distribution Chain. That's true, but also largely irrelevant for indies, because bookstores aren't typically going to stock non-returnable books, which POD books are.

But every bookstore, even the chains, have workarounds that they will do if they want to sell your books badly enough, or if you've got a good enough pitch. I've even gotten a Barnes & Noble to let me come in with my own author's copies and sell them through the cash register at a signing.

Most bookstores are going to want to make 40%. So if you're like me and you sell paperbacks for $10, then you have to sell them to the bookstore for $6. That's okay for me, because my paperbacks cost me about $4, so I still make $2 per copy. Not nearly what I make when I sell them on my own, but c'est la vie. Many indie bookstores have ways of stocking local authors' books as well.

I hope this is helpful. 

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Hartness said:
Once you have it in your hands, you can do whatever you want with it.

What you have probably heard is that most bookstores do the majority of their purchasing through Ingram's, which is part of the Extended Distribution Chain. That's true, but also largely irrelevant for indies, because bookstores aren't typically going to stock non-returnable books, which POD books are.

But every bookstore, even the chains, have workarounds that they will do if they want to sell your books badly enough, or if you've got a good enough pitch. I've even gotten a Barnes & Noble to let me come in with my own author's copies and sell them through the cash register at a signing.

Most bookstores are going to want to make 40%. So if you're like me and you sell paperbacks for $10, then you have to sell them to the bookstore for $6. That's okay for me, because my paperbacks cost me about $4, so I still make $2 per copy. Not nearly what I make when I sell them on my own, but c'est la vie. Many indie bookstores have ways of stocking local authors' books as well.

I hope this is helpful.
SUPER helpful!
I appreciate your response. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not causing any problems. I'm hoping to work with the local stores here and find ways to do signings, get a copy here and there in stock, put posters up, etc.

But I also want them to be able to order through me so I can keep them supplied and happy if they need it without going through other channels.

Again, thanks for your info!

-jb 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts