Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With reference to sending documents to the Kindle I've also been using Send to Kindle but yesterday I read about and installed a new option called KindleBox which uses Dropbox to send documents to the Kindle.  I've only used it once to test it so far and it seems to work smoothly but I don't know it's in's and outs well enough to really know if it'll be useful in the long term.

Anyway you create an account on their website to set it up.  In the process of creating the account you give it your Dropbox information and you click a link and it creates a new folder under Apps in your Dropbox folder.  Of course this assumes you have a Dropbox account, which I do.

That all took about 3 minutes plus a lot of reading of their FAQ and other information to make sure I knew what I was getting into before I gave them my info.  Once done all I have to do to send a document to my Kindle is to drop it into that new folder in my Dropbox folder.  It then uses Send to Kindle for me and it appears on my Kindle when I sync.

The one document I tried it with worked just fine.  I have a lot of plain text short stories I've collected over the years and I"m always sending one or another of them to my Kindle and this will make that a lot simpler.  I can just drag it into a folder and wait till it appears on the Kindle.

I have no idea what limits or problems, if any, this thing might have but so far it's looking pretty nice.

Barry

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
Barry, I split your post out into it's own topic . . . .

KindleBox does look pretty slick.  I just installed it.  Only thing is, I don't like the 'author' it gives to the document. Also, it's kind of more steps to get it into the specific folder so it'll actually sent.  I'll probably keep using Send to Kindle since I already have it installed. And I can put files into DropBox and use Send to Kindle from there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't understand the value of this. If I'm using a computer, it is at least as convenient to use Send To Kindle, which also gives you more options (save to cloud or not, send to multiple devices, edit author/title) and has a 50MB limit instead of email's (usually) smaller file size limit for attachments. And you can equally just use your own email client, attach the file, and send it. No need to involve a third party.

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
If you're someplace where you can't access your own email or your own computer, but CAN access dropbox, it would be a way to get a document to your kindle.

Although I don't see myself using it a whole lot, I'm glad to know about it. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
From tablets it could be more convinient, or computers that aren't yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts