Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent my first novel in to Amazon this morning to get it published.  The procedure wasn't difficult and only took me about 15 minutes.  It is a collection of short stories.

Have you used this free service?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't hard to submit the books so I finished proofing another of my short story collections, saved it to HTML, made a book cover, wrote the novel description and then submitted that book too.  The procedure is actually really simple and only takes about 15 minutes to put a book on. 

The biggest job is proofreading the novel and making sure there aren't any errors.

So by tomorrow I should have two books on there since it only takes about 24 hours to get published.

I have about five more novels that I am proofing and want to put them on there over the the next month or two.

Then there are some novels that need to be finalized.  So by this time next year, I hope to have one or two dozen novels on Amazon.

I have been writing these for about 20 years, off and on so I have plenty to submit.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's so awesome that you have such a big backlist up front!  :D  I only have the one novel (Legacy) which just went live today, but put up some short stories before.

I hear the more books you have on your "virtual shelf," the better off you are.  Best of luck!!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked Amazon and my book has already been published and is ready to be sold.  That is really fast since I just submitted it this morning.

Now all I have to do is sit back and watch the money roll in.  LOL

Actually I am going to be busy proofreading and getting some more on there.

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
Sam,

be sure to put links to your books in your signature!  Check the sticky at the top of the Writers' Cafe on how to do it.

Betsy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good for you, Friend. I didn't find it so straightforward - lots of formatting issues - but I was happy in the end. You can't beat it; instant publication at no cost. Who cares, then that they take a hefty commission (70% for mine, but I'm selling below the 35% threshold).

Best of luck with it.
JT

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two of my books are finalized so I downloaded a sample from each to see how they came out. They looked the way they should.

The other one is still processing.  It actually takes longer than I thought at first.  It takes about 3 or 4 days to be fully processed.  I had one fully processed but the product description wasn't spaced properly so I had to change that, which took a day.

I am not writing these novels that fast, but just using some that I wrote over years.  I am checking them carefully for errors now. Usually I find punctuation errors, but sometimes I change the sentence to make it sound better or clearer.

The one I am proofreading now should be ready to submit later today. It is longer than the others that I have submitted.

Overall I am impressed in the Amazon system for putting novels on their system.  It wasn't overly hard, however, it helps to have basic computer skills or have someone help you that does.

It also helps to the novel in HTML format, product description, and novel cover stored in a folder that is easy to find on your computer.  I have made a few mistakes that I was able to correct and am now familiar with how to do it.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I now have six books on there, but only two have actually completely processed and are ready to be sold.

I am putting the smaller novels on first and then will add the larger ones later since that way I can get more on quickly.

It as taken me 20 to 30 years to write these novels so it seems like I am processing them quickly.  All I am really doing is proof reading them and uploading them to Amazon.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Good luck, Sam!  I hope it sells well.  When you get it posted, be sure to include a link in your signature on the Boards.

Both Kindle and Nook have very easy interfaces.  It only takes minutes for each.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This morning I checked and there are now four of my books on Amazon. I never realized it would be this easy to publish and is sort of fun. I have two more novels in the Amazon process so should be on there today or tomorrow. I am proofing another and hope to submit it today. What I have been doing is putting my shorter novels on there first since it is less time consuming to proof those. Then I will start on my larger novels which will take a lot more time.

One of my books is a short story for $.99 which is about a husband who refuses to buy his wife a Kindle. It is just a funny little story that I wrote yesterday. But it has a catchy title and might be a best seller, who knows. Readers don't always pick your best novels.

http://www.amazon.com/Husband-Wont-Wife-Kindle-ebook/dp/B005406LNG/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307105857&sr=1-7

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.