Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate your opinion and to hear from the experience of other writers on this topic.
I have a successful non-fiction series on the topic of online education. It's only two books now but I intend to grow it to 5-7 books.
I'm now writing a middle-grade fiction series. Because both are so different and will have unique brands, I feel like having such entirely different books and series will create confusion. On the other hand, I could see how having more books and well-rated books on different topics might help build my overall credibility as an author. I'm torn. And I have a suspicion that I'm ignorant of the drawbacks and benefits. (Is it even okay with Amazon to have two different author accounts?) Thanks for helping me think this through. 

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've read blog posts that suggest different pen names for different genres.

However, I think it's a heap of work with minimal reward. People want to know who you are -- including your various interests. If readers fall in love with your middle-grade fiction, they'll search for your name to find other books written by you, not by a pen name they won't recognize.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The advice seems to vary. But it's fairly common for writers to have one pen name for non-fiction (John R Smith) and one for fiction (JR Smith). Sometimes writers will have more than two pen names: one for non-fiction, one for historical fiction, one for space opera. My understanding is that it's pretty easy in Amazon to set this up. As hinted at, the main problem would be keeping track!

·
Registered
667 Posts
You can set up an additional pen name. If my memory serves me, it's up to four.

Whether you should ... If the nonfiction and fiction have some kind of connection, then I'd consider keeping them together. They might advertise each other. If they're too different, separate them out.

I write in science fiction and fantasy romance and have both genres together under my pen name. They're connected because they're all fantasy romance. I mean, sci fi and fantasy are different, but similar.

I've toyed with the idea of writing epic fantasy without romance. For me, this would be significantly different enough to consider writing under a different pen name because my readers would get confused about my products. So, I guess, that's the thing to think about. Are they similar enough to help or different enough to confuse? I'd also look check other Amazon writers in your genres, fiction and nonfiction, and look at what they've done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts