Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Stella Wilkinson said:
Hi, this is probably a really simple question but I've been trying to upload my first book onto Amazon and I think I've done something wrong somewhere. I wanted to upload different versions with UK English for Uk and Europe and American English for everywhere else. Unless people think that it's a waste of time? I dont know if i missed the page on it? But now it says my book is in review and I cant make any changes for now. Any ideas? Sorry if it's a stupid question
I don't know if you did anything wrong, but I DO think it's a waste of time. I'm a UK author and write using Brit English. Most of my sales are in the US and no one has ever complained about either style or Brit language usage. I just put a page in the front of all my books telling everyone that the book was written and produced in the UK and uses British spellings. I doubt it was even needed, but I figured if anyone wanted to question me about my books I could say "Aha! I did warn you it was written that way within the book."

I've never needed it. :)

By supplying two version of your book you are just doubling your work load. If you go ahead, I think you will need to upload them as two separate books with different titles so that your readers know what's what.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Sorry if it's a stupid question
It's not a stupid question, and it's been discussed quite a bit here, so you're not the only one to wonder about it. The consensus seems to be that if you use UK spellings, you will occasionally get complaints from Americans about misspellings (because while Americans generally recognize colour as a British spelling, we aren't always aware of words like defence and jewellery and recognise, and will tend to see them as errors). But that's not a big enough concern to worry with a second version, IMHO. If you were American and thinking of uploading a British version, however, I definitely wouldn't worry about it. I think you guys are used to our corruption of the language by now. :D

If you upload a book to Amazon.com, it automatically populates through to the other Amazons, so you probably couldn't upload another version of the same book without a change in title (even if it were only Title-American version). I confess I'm not sure how it works with Amazon.co.uk, though.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Stella Wilkinson said:
Really? They would need seperate titles even though they are being marketed in different countries? I didnt know that
It's not something Amazon will insist upon, but more a personal choice (if it were me) I would probably use a subtitle like US Edition, UK Edition or something. Purely a personal thing.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Stella Wilkinson said:
Ok, both really helpful thanks. I've uploaded an American version (mainly word changes like apologise and apologize) but seeing as the book is written by an English person and set in England then maybe I'll go with the UK version and load that to all. I don't want to have two different title names! Mark I'll steal your idea and put a note in to warn the yanks ;)

Or would I be better sticking with an American version - (has last minute panic ???)
If the book is written by a Britsh person and set in England, then I'd be ANNOYED if it was Americanized. It would be one thing if your book was set in the US with American characters, you know? But really, I don't want to read an Americanized version of a British book. I just don't.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If the book is written by a Britsh person and set in England, then I'd be ANNOYED if it was Americanized. It would be one thing if your book was set in the US with American characters, you know? But really, I don't want to read an Americanized version of a British book. I just don't.
It's also worth noting that if you Americanize the spelling but not the writing, it may just confuse readers more. If I see British spellings, I expect British writing. But if I get British writing with American spelling, I wonder what the heck I'm reading. The difference between British and American English is more than just spelling; it's a whole lot of little things. We don't phrase things exactly the same, and we don't use the same idioms. I think Americanizing it (or Americanising it, if you prefer) by modifying the spelling is more likely to confuse readers than if you left it the way it is.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
What Meg says.

I was a big chick lit fan back in the day, particularly Brit chick lit. And part of what made me pick up Brit chick lit was the appeal of getting to see this other world. We theoretically speak the same language, but not really, you know?

·
Registered
60 Posts
To offer two versions, upload them both to KDP and then use the Rights section to make the UK version only available to customers from the UK & Ireland and the US version available to customers from everywhere except the UK & Ireland.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I personally, wouldn't do it.  I am an American, but I work with UK English regularly.  I'm only annoyed when a book is half and half.  Just pick one :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts