• Amazon.de: 0.0029309682
  • Amazon.ca: 0.0040465924
  • Amazon.com.au: 0.0036543169
  • Amazon.fr: 0.0042527770
  • Amazon.com.mx: 0.0764531347
  • Amazon.in: 0.0880088017
  • Amazon.es: 0.0045447217
  • Amazon.it: 0.0045801774

A hair under our prediction of a 7% gain for September US KENP rate. Graph of overall trends.

Funnily enough, September saw a 6.3% jump in KENP rates across the board in all other marketplaces.

Based on historical data, we predict no change for October KENP rates.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a question...???

Is it better to over estimate your KENP read with the higher estimation, assume the same rate, or decrease? There’s about a $50 difference from the high and low.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Karen Monroe said:
I have a question...???

Is it better to over estimate your KENP read with the higher estimation, assume the same rate, or decrease? There's about a $50 difference from the high and low.

Thank you.
The conventional wisdom is to underestimate earnings. I have my BookReport KENPC set at .0041 and I base my decisions on that. I'd rather underspend than overspend (though I have a pretty aggressive strategy overall compared to most).

That's the safer choice, but there's really no right or wrong answer. If a higher estimation motivates you to write more, then that might be better for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Crystal_ said:
The conventional wisdom is to underestimate earnings. I have my BookReport KENPC set at .0041 and I base my decisions on that. I'd rather underspend than overspend (though I have a pretty aggressive strategy overall compared to most).

That's the safer choice, but there's really no right or wrong answer. If a higher estimation motivates you to write more, then that might be better for you.
Still new at this.

How do you set your report?

The reason I am asking is there was a difference of $70 that was on the estimated page, I am finding it hard to set a budget.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you're using BookReport, you can set you estimated KENPC, I believe on the Settings page. It has a few different options. I manually put in .0041, since that's the lowest number we've seen in some time.

I'm not sure about using other tools. You can always manually multiply the pages on your KDP report by the estimated borrow rate. But I never look at my KDP reports without using BookReport. It's just so much easier to parse at a glance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Crystal_ said:
If you're using BookReport, you can set you estimated KENPC, I believe on the Settings page. It has a few different options. I manually put in .0041, since that's the lowest number we've seen in some time.

I'm not sure about using other tools. You can always manually multiply the pages on your KDP report by the estimated borrow rate. But I never look at my KDP reports without using BookReport. It's just so much easier to parse at a glance.
What is BookReport?

LOL...I'll look it up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Crystal_ said:

Okay, when you say Book Report you are speaking of the reports from Amazon. I only have one book, but thank you for response. I am now able to see the reports from August and September in my KDP reports

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Karen Monroe said:
Okay, when you say Book Report you are speaking of the reports from Amazon. I only have one book, but thank you for response. I am now able to see the reports from August and September in my KDP reports
Nope. She is talking about Book Report. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karen Monroe said:
I have a question...???

Is it better to over estimate your KENP read with the higher estimation, assume the same rate, or decrease? There's about a $50 difference from the high and low.

Thank you.
In general, I always go with a lower estimate because I hate being surprised. But sometimes, for a boost of ego, I use a higher estimate lol

On our platform, Publishwide, you can set your KENP estimate setting as either:

• Most recent rate
  • Custom marketplace rate
  • Assume increase
  • Assume decrease

When you set it for custom marketplace rate, you can set the exact custom rate you'd like to use for all marketplaces:

When you set either assume increase or decrease, you can then set a custom percentage that you'd like to use - we find that it's a bit more accurate to Amazon's fixed 5% intervals in either direction, and you can always use the predictions we provide on our free KENP calculator tool:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Crystal_ said:

I'm surprised so many trust a 3rd party company like BookReport with their kindle details. I wouldn't give those out to anyone not even for a fancy pie chart.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
anotherpage said:
I'm surprised so many trust a 3rd party company like BookReport with their kindle details. I wouldn't give those out to anyone not even for a fancy pie chart.
I don't think it uses your login details. It's a browser extension.

Your easily understood reports automatically update as your sales roll in. No need to refresh, import, or click a single button. It's live. We don't ask for your password, and your sales data is always fully encrypted, so you can have peace of mind that your data is safe. Check out our Privacy Policy for more details.
https://www.getbookreport.com/

I don't think holding onto your password is going to be the best route in the future. Password managers are becoming more and more necessary as passwords get easier to crack, unless you have a photographic memory and can recall a different, incomprehensible password for each site. 7*9kshioenkLH( are a bunch of letters I randomly typed. That's what password requirements will look like in the future and best practice will be a different one for each site you use.

Using a password manager is safer than using the same password or an easier password or writing down all your passwords.

I trust BookReport and I find their fancy pie charts more than worth it. The KDP reports page is impossible to parse. I have more than 30 published books and I'm advertising multiple books in multiple countries. It would take me an hour to parse data I can analyze in 5-10 minutes on BookReport.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I could not use BookReport. It wouldn’t load on my iPad Pro, and my laptop PC needs repairs.

I think it may be better to decrease or use last month’s rate in KDP reports. I would rather low-ball my estimate. That way extra money is a gift....lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crystal_ said:
I don't think it uses your login details. It's a browser extension.
There's still some iffy things that BookReport does, namely:

Book Report's browser extension watches the cookies you have for the kdp.amazon.com domain. When it sees you have a new set of access tokens, those tokens are securely submitted to and stored on our servers. Then when you need the latest data in Book Report, we make data requests to Amazon's servers that include those tokens. Amazon confirms the tokens are valid and sends the data you need to our servers to be processed and displayed.
So the extension doesn't take your passwords, but it takes the cookie that Amazon sent you that says "yep, you are who you are" and stores it on their servers. Unless you have a completely separate account for KDP, your KDP account is probably linked to your personal Amazon account--along with all your credit card data, bank accounts, etc.

The level of account access from those cookies is really high. BookReport isn't a malicious actor, but if their servers ever get breached, then all those cookies--and subsequently--all their users' Amazon accounts are potentially at risk.

On another note: the extension always grabs the freshest cookies, so even if BR invalidates the existing cookies on their servers, the extension will just keep forwarding the fresh ones over anyways. So if a security breach happened, then it doesn't matter if they deleted everything because there will always be fresh cookies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts