Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem I face is committing to the title, along with the cost of the ISBNs. I don't want to make a mistake that affects the series as a whole or the new subseries / series. This is a nonfiction series.

Should I jeopardize my series title and following by including in it a subseries? Or should I simply make it a separate series (even though it is really a part of the established one)? 

Is there another way to go about this? Where a series of books is part of a whole series yet forms a series of its own so that I can title the books in the subseries from Book 1, Book 2...?

I have a series of nonfiction books that share the last two words in all the titles. This two word phrase sums up the main direction and focus of the books. So far there are four books in the series. Each book in the series has a different title with the two word phrase added at the end. What I want to do is add another five to ten shorter books that also use the last two word phrase in the three word titles. The titles will all be the same, but I add Book 1, Book 2, Book 3, etc at the end. Actually, the 'Book...' bit is under the three word title like it was a subtitle (but not a subtitle).

The main problem with this setup that I can see is these five to ten new books will dominate the four books. People may not even see them in the back catalogue on my author page. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about doing this, hence the idea of setting it up as a subseries. So that Amazon sees it as a subsection(?) within the main series but still gives it it's own series page. But, I'm not sure what Amazon, or other platforms will do with it - because I'm selling wide.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advice before I commit myself to a series title?

Here's an unimaginative example, but it will do. You have a series titled Burger Recipes with titles like On the Run Burger Recipes (Burger Recipes Book 1) and Fantasy Island Burger Recipes (Burger Recipes, Book 2). You want to write a book about meatless burger recipes and you have enough enough ideas to make a five book series with titles like Delicious Egg and Bean without Meat Burger Recipes, American Style Without Meat Burger Recipes. This another series with the last phrase in each title being Without Meat Burger Recipes

Would I do best to treat these as a subseries? With titles like these: Delicious Egg and Bean Without Meat Burger Recipes(Burger Recipes, Book 3), American Style Without Meat Burger Recipes (Burger Recipes, Book 4).

OR create a new series? Titling this way instead: Delicious Egg and Bean Without Meat Burger Recipes(Burger Recipes, Book 1), American Style Without Meat Burger Recipes (Burger Recipes, Book 2).

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You have to choose. Either they're Book 4, Book 5, and Book 6 in the old series or Book 1, Book 2, and Book 3 in a new series.

There's no middle ground on any of the vendors. You don't get both. There's no "best of both worlds" solution. There are no "subseries". There are no connected series.

As you said, there are pros and cons. Without you sharing more specifics about the books, it's hard to give you a specific answer about which pros outweigh which cons in your case and that's probably why people aren't responding.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J. Tanner, I appreciate your reply.

The books are non-fiction. I use a pen name to keep the nonfiction side of my writing separate from the fiction. So far I have a single series based on the topic. A craft or skill that is applied to problem solving. Each book looks at a different application of the the skill I am writing about.

The problem as I see it is that I only have four books under this pen-name, and what I am about to do is kick off a 'sub-series' looking at a narrow (but deep) application of the skill, which I am estimating will work out to be at least 5 books, hopefully more, depending on reader response. That means this sub-series will outnumber the original series.

If I number the books 1-9 (if I write 5 in this subseries) then write another book that has nothing to do with books 5-9 (that is in keeping with a new application for each book as with the first four books) would I not risk confusing readers who aren't interested in the narrow application books 5-9 cover? I might lose the readers who were interested in the kind of applications I wrote about in the first 4 books.

On the other hand, if I make this a new series and start numbering from Book 1, 2,3,4,5... using the same two word phrase that is the brand of the first four books, wouldn't this also confuse readers not to mention Amazon who have given me a page for the series brand (the two word phrase)? I really want to keep the same branding for all books by this pen-name because brand and pen-name have tied together successfully so far.

That's the conundrum. I can't publish until I sort it out. This should be a no brainer for me but I'm really stuck on what to do.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
J. Tanner said:
You have to choose. Either they're Book 4, Book 5, and Book 6 in the old series or Book 1, Book 2, and Book 3 in a new series.

There's no middle ground on any of the vendors. You don't get both. There's no "best of both worlds" solution. There are no "subseries". There are no connected series.

As you said, there are pros and cons. Without you sharing more specifics about the books, it's hard to give you a specific answer about which pros outweigh which cons in your case and that's probably why people aren't responding.
Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue, although your "Burger Recipes" example helped.

However, from what I can tell, I think J. Tanner is correct: you should to either include them all in one series, or create a new one. Perhaps you can add to your cover something like "From the author of Burger Recipe books."

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
baldricko said:
On the other hand, if I make this a new series and start numbering from Book 1, 2,3,4,5... using the same two word phrase that is the brand of the first four books, wouldn't this also confuse readers
If you choose this option, don't use the same series name. Use a slightly different series name. "Self-Help Series" and "Focus on Self-Help Series". Whatever. And all the books in each series will be linked on their own series page.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
All in one series, or two separate ones. Otherwise you're going to confuse Amazon, or worse, potential buyers.

To be honest, meat burgers and veggie burgers would appeal to different audiences, so making them two different series makes the most marketing sense.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes. You have to choose. You can't have it both ways.
But, from experience, I can tell you breaking the books into two series is NOT a deal breaker.
Because You.
A. have the "also by" page in the backs of your books where you can link to all the books, in both series.
B. Have two books 1s you can advertise
C. all these books will be on your author pages on various retailers, so anyone interested in you will also find these other books.
D. They will also likely show up in your also boughts on your product page, so they will be visible.

You're spinning your wheels on this. Just decide and commit and be done! It'll work either way.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I find your question intensely confusing, but I would generally say to split the series if you're not sure.

Two series = two entry points and with non-fiction you really want to specialize.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Yes, confusing.

This is what I've decided after reading through everyone's excellent suggestions.

1. I quit procrastinating.
2. I make it a new series, but...
3. I keep the last two words as a brand phrase.

My reasoning is that a series needs a brand to stand out and to better market it, and mine is now firmly attached to the pen name. I'd be silly to not use it as a platform for the new series.

Phew! Got that one sorted. Now to get on with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts