Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice other book series show the number like so:  The Book Title (XYZ Series #4).  The title "The Book Title" would have been typed into the blank for title, and the series name "XYZ Series" into the blank for series name. And then, presumably, the 4 is the number entered into the space for Volume Number. But that number doesn't show up on Amazon. So do you guys type in the #4 as part of the series name? And if so, doesn't that say to Amazon's computer brain that the book is a different series?  Because XYZ Series 1 is not the same Series as XYZ Series 3, etc. That's why they have the volume blank, isn't it? And yet, no numbers are appearing. Am I just over thinking this?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I don't know the answer but can tell you to dig until someone helps. I was looking for the next book in a series the other day and went to Amazon. I got so frustrated because it wasn't clear which book came next. I had to read every descripton and sort of figure it out piece by piece.

Authors, if you have a series, be clear which book is which in the title or subtitle when uploading. Please.
:)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I've been wondering about this.

(sorry, John, this doesn't answer your question)
When I see a book that catches my eye and it says somewhere in there that it's Book Three or something, more often than not I give it a pass.
This is because I figure that, if I haven't read Book One and Two, I won't know what's going on and it'll be a pain.
I'd have to be REALLY interested for me to then go digging up those books.

While clearly books in a series do well, I can't imagine that I'm the only one turned away by the prospect of having to sort out what might have happened before (or, worse, reading a book only to end up with a cliffhanger).

I have not read a lot of series (mainly because of the above). Are most books in seriesesesses's self-contained, complete stories? Am I making assumptions? And if they are, why worry about reading them in order?

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Sadly, Amazon doesn't display the series # from the input box in any way a person might actually, oh, SEE IT. You have to include the entire series name and volume # in the title field through KDP if you want people to see it.

It says in their instructions NOT to do that, but you have to if you don't want your poor readers confused about what's what.

G

·
0 Posts
Quiss said:
I've been wondering about this.

(sorry, John, this doesn't answer your question)
When I see a book that catches my eye and it says somewhere in there that it's Book Three or something, more often than not I give it a pass.
This is because I figure that, if I haven't read Book One and Two, I won't know what's going on and it'll be a pain.
I'd have to be REALLY interested for me to then go digging up those books.

While clearly books in a series do well, I can't imagine that I'm the only one turned away by the prospect of having to sort out what might have happened before (or, worse, reading a book only to end up with a cliffhanger).

I have not read a lot of series (mainly because of the above). Are most books in seriesesesses's self-contained, complete stories? Am I making assumptions? And if they are, why worry about reading them in order?
A lot of books in series can be enjoyed as standalones, like anything by two of my favorites David Gemmell or David Drake, or The Destroyer and The Executioner books mentioned yesterday by CE Martin, or my own series stuff, or... lots of things really. Some epic fantasy not as much, I guess.

Still a number is helpful for those who want to read in order.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Amazon has Twilight books like this:

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga Book 4)​

That is very helpful in the first glance.

As for series read in order, the trilogy I just signed to do will be stand-alone books, meaning they don't necessarily have to be read in order and everything is tied up neatly at the end. However, it would be easier for the reader to catch on to some things if the books are read in order. When you are using the same characters, it's almost impossible to keep them totally disconnected from each book.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dalya said:
Sadly, Amazon doesn't display the series # from the input box in any way a person might actually, oh, SEE IT. You have to include the entire series name and volume # in the title field through KDP if you want people to see it.

It says in their instructions NOT to do that, but you have to if you don't want your poor readers confused about what's what.
Yeah, I saw that in the rules, so I didn't. I put it on the cover, and I made a point of mentioning it in two places in the description for book 2. I suppose that's all I can do.

@ Quiss: The way people approach writing a series is as diverse as writers themselves. Some write books that are entirely independent, just carrying characters and worlds forward. Others are completely dependent on having read the previous one, and some are balanced more, where it helps to have read the first one, but the author does things in the narrative of each new book that gives enough back story that a reader can move forward easily enough. So it's kind of all over the place. I like reading series IF they are good, like the Wheel of Time books for example, and George R.R. Martin's books, the first few anyway, even The Hunger Games (I blew through those!). I sometimes pick a book based on how popular its third or fourth sequel is. It suggests a nice long stretch of reading with familiar characters, which I enjoy, so I look for them.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dalya said:

True, and so annoying. When I tried to play nice with Amazon and follow their rules, it came out like this: Avenger (The Sanctuary Series). The Sanctuary Series what? Book 1? 2? 57? Thanks a f***lot, Ammy, I'm writing a tightly plotted series where each subsequent volume builds on the previous and you can't even be bothered to throw the #2 up there, EVEN THOUGH I GAVE YOU THE INFO IN THE FIELD. Why would you choose to omit that? GRRRRR! (I think you may have hit a nerve, here!)

So, now, in the name of helping my fans, I just throw it all in the title and leave the series field blank.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RobertJCrane said:
True, and so annoying. When I tried to play nice with Amazon and follow their rules, it came out like this: Avenger (The Sanctuary Series). The Sanctuary Series what? Book 1? 2? 57? Thanks a f***lot, Ammy, I'm writing a tightly plotted series where each subsequent volume builds on the previous and you can't even be bothered to throw the #2 up there, EVEN THOUGH I GAVE YOU THE INFO IN THE FIELD. Why would you choose to omit that? GRRRRR! (I think you may have hit a nerve, here!)

So, now, in the name of helping my fans, I just throw it all in the title and leave the series field blank.
Yeah, this is me exactly right now.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
My first two books have Gastien Part 1 and Gastien Part 2 in the title.  I wish I wouldn't have done that.  At the time I thought those were the only two I was writing about Gastien, though.  Even so, some people think it means both books are incomplete.

Each book in my series can stand alone.  That said, although that is usually true of any series, as a series it just makes sense to read it in order to the timeline is right.  For instance, my series is a family saga.  Why read about the grandson's life first?

By book three I knew how I would do it going forward and with any other series I do.  I leave the number and series name out of the title.  For instance book 3 title is: Tristan Michel: Bloodline of Passion.  Then, down below where my author name is I put Book 3 (4, etc) of The Gastien Series.  That shows people it is part of the series on the cover.  Since they probably don't notice that in a thumbnail, I also mention it at the end of my description.

Someday I may change books 1 and 2 to be the same.  The problem is the paperbacks and changing them. Not sure Createspace allows that.  At any rate, I have too many things I need to get done first.  :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts