Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Amazon info page at https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A2FPLK18PMRY0Q&ref_=pe_390220_134001700_55 says:

Series title
If your eBook is part of a series, you can update the series title after publishing. When you enter a series title, enter only the name of the series. To ensure customers can find all the books in the series, do not add the individual book title or volume number in the Series title field, and make sure you use the same series title for all the books in your series.

Series Pages

For some books in a series, books with the same series title will create a series landing page on Amazon.com, in order of volume numbers. This improves the discoverability of all the books in your series by showing customers all of the books that make up the series in a single page.

My questions are:
Do you think it's worth having a series title for a series that's only two books long?
Is it important that the series title be on the book's covers as well as the individual book titles?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I'm new and don't know anything.

From a reader perspective however I don't know if I would class 2 books as a series. I suppose it is, and I don't know what it would be called otherwise actually. 2 books is a bit of a grey area, then 3 books is a trilogy and everything after that is definitely a series.

Again as I said from a reader, I like series names for trilogies and obviously series. Especially if the author has written lots of other stuff, as then I know a lot easier what books are grouped together. It kind of gives the series an identity.

So I don't know if it's important to have one. However, as a reader, I like it when authors do. I hope that's an ok comment.

ETA: About book covers. No idea if it's important though I have read posts about branding so there's that. Personally I like it when things match, and they look like they belong together. I always get really cross when mid-series they change the style. I think if the series has a name then I don't see why it wouldn't be on the cover, that's just me though.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
carinasanfey said:
I don't think readers are going to say, "NO! This two-book series does not have a series title, therefore I will not buy it."
And this, ultimately is the point. Will it hurt to give it a series title? No. Will it help? Possibly. I'd definitely give it some consideration.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!  At the moment my problem is that there is no title that just jumps out at me so I'm looking for an excuse not to have one! :)  However, I totally agree with  you, Taitrina, that anything that helps me as a reader understand how a books relate to one another can only be good. Nothing as irritating as starting to read a book and realizing that it's partway into a series and you don't have the first one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're about to publish the first book in this series/duology/whatever, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's probably better to come back to it when you're about to release the second one and can put some more thought into what to call the series - updating the cover of the first book can be done easily enough.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michael Cargill said:
If you're about to publish the first book in this series/duology/whatever, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's probably better to come back to it when you're about to release the second one and can put some more thought into what to call the series - updating the cover of the first book can be done easily enough.
...I'm about to publish the second one, Michael :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kay Bratt said:
If I Stay is a good duology to study for this question. They use the series name "If I Stay" , which is also the title of book one.
Linked below to show you how it shows on Amazon. They call it a 2-book series.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=If%20I%20stay
Ah! That is extremely useful, Kay. I was going to ask if it's acceptable to use the name of the first book as the series/duology title.
I also like the word "set" quite a lot. "The Crooks & Straights Set" could work? Hmm.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Masha du Toit said:
Ah! That is extremely useful, Kay. I was going to ask if it's acceptable to use the name of the first book as the series/duology title.
I also like the word "set" quite a lot. "The Crooks & Straights Set" could work? Hmm.
It's also interesting that in the book description for the second book, she plugs her next project which seems to be another 2-book series, and says this:

And don't miss Gayle's newest novel, JUST ONE DAY and the forthcoming companion, JUST ONE YEAR.

(Posting to advise you to put something like it at the end of your first book description, urging readers to check out the companion title.)

Then in the description for the 1st book, it says this:

The first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem's story--Just One Year--is coming soon!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Masha, I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the covers in your sig! They're beautiful and show a lot of personality :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's great advice, Kay.  I'm certainly going to do that - put a note about the sequel in the first book's description.

And thanks so much, EldaVeiga, that's so sweet of you :)  Very kind. :) 

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
All of mine are in series. All were series from book 1, and some took a long time to gain more volumes. The ONLY one I use the book title for the series is Rune: Rune Gate Cycle 1, Chosen: Rune Gate Cycle 2

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I wonder. There are many who use nice punchy titles, with a keyworded series title. Like My Book: A bestselling NOVEL of Crime and Punishment in a PARANORMAL WORLD of EPIC FANTASY BOOKS!!!

hahah. I HATE that.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I make it a point not to buy anything with an SEO'd title.

The series title is important to make sure the system links those books together. Even before they finally got their act together with showing the series on the page, Amazon was likely to recommend the next book in your series over one that's just written by you and moved books in a series closer together in searches.

Now that they DO show up, it's important for that title not to be awful. A lot of abandoned series on Amazon (ones whose authors no longer maintain their info) now look like the product of Tourette's Syndrome because they just put random words (or far, far worse, SEO) in the series box, resulting in 'This is Book One of the FANTASY HERO GOES ON JOURNEY SWORDS SORCERY WIZARD DRAGON SERIES DARK series', or the ever popular, 'This is Book 3 of the LORD OF THE RINGS GAME OF THRONES GRR MARTIN NAME OF THE WIND series'.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...I've been seeing this advice about SEO and keywords in titles more and more.  I always thought it only really applied to non-fiction?  I mean, I can see how it would work in non-fiction.  But in fiction, not so much.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
A lot of SEO stuff is geared to making things easier to find in search engines while making them look like something you didn't want to find.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Two books is a grey area, as other have said. I might just give them similar enough titles so that the connection and the order are clear?

Kind of like how the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey was 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vaalingrade said:
A lot of SEO stuff is geared to making things easier to find in search engines while making them look like something you didn't want to find.
:) That's spot on :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts