Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this post in another forum and just wanted to hear your opinoins.

"I never understood why there was a hole in the center of a donut? What is it's purpose in life? Why dose it exist? Google dose not have the answer to this seriouse question. What is your hypthesis on this situation? Why do you think theres a hole? Why oh why?"

I think I use to know the answer but I forgot.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
According to Ask.com:

"The question as to why doughnuts have holes has been raised by dozens of bakers over the years, but most agree that the answer to this sticky question lies in the fact that the interior of these fried cakes would not cook fully without a hole in the center. In short, the consistency of a doughnut lacking a hole would be, quite simply, doughy.

Another riveting theory as to the origin of the bulls eye in the doughnut holds that a sea captain named Hanson Gregory, while manning his post one stormy night, found it impossible both to steer his vessel and to eat his fried cake. Out of sheer frustration, and probably out of hunger, he impaled his cake over one of the spokes of the ship's wheel, thereby creating a finger hold with which to grip the cake. Quite pleased with his ingenuity, Mr. Gregory ordered the galley's cook to fry the cakes in that manner henceforth."

But I like Anju's answer. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
cheerio said:
I saw this post in another forum and just wanted to hear your opinoins.

"I never understood why there was a hole in the center of a donut? What is it's purpose in life? Why dose it exist? Google dose not have the answer to this seriouse question. What is your hypthesis on this situation? Why do you think theres a hole? Why oh why?"

I think I use to know the answer but I forgot.
http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/doughnuts.asp
"The question as to why doughnuts have holes has been raised by dozens of bakers over the years, but most agree that the answer to this sticky question lies in the fact that the interior of these fried cakes would not cook fully without a hole in the center. In short, the consistency of a doughnut lacking a hole would be, quite simply, doughy."

I suspect this is the right answer, but apparently there is not real "right answer". I've eaten oliebollen in Holland, which are similar to donuts without the hole and they weren't particularly doughy. Maybe some baker somewhere thought they'd be less doughy & tried it & the idea stuck.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Well, now I've never made donuts.  But I have a fairly old family recipe (one of the measures is for a scant half teacup of sugar) for "Fastnachts", also called "kinklings".  They're a fried dough thing made with lard, sugar, flour, salt, milk and yeast. . . .and not much else.  Very Very yummy.  You're supposed to make them right before Lent because you have to use up all that stuff 'cause it used to be you couldn't eat such things in Lent.

Anyway, the recipe says to roll them out and cut them into triangular or quadrilateral shapes.  It is very specific that after you cut them you must slice a hole in the middle of the shape.  You cook them by frying them and, if you haven't cut a hole, they really don't cook right.  The edges get over crispy before the centers get done, or else if the edges are good, the center is doughy.  If you slice the whole in the center, they come out perfect.

So, I think there's some logic to the theory that donuts wouldn't cook right if they didn't have holes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anju No. 469 said:
So there would be donut holes to eat ::)
I like this answer

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Meemo said:
http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/doughnuts.asp
lies in the fact that the interior of these fried cakes would not cook fully without a hole in the center. In short, the consistency of a doughnut lacking a hole would be, quite simply, doughy."
Hmm, wonder why jelly filled donuts, maple bars, and bear claws all cook in the middle?

Sailor

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've also heard that they were sold by street vendors who would just slip them on a stick and head out onto the street to sell them.  The hole definitely makes them cook differently though... I have no idea the truth behind them but thought I'd toss that theory out there.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I guess it would depend on whether the food came before the idea/name.  In other words, did some one invent it, then call it a donut (dough nut), or did someone have the idea of a "nut" (like nuts and bolts) made out of "dough" first?  

If the latter, then there is a hole so that the food matches the name.  If the former, then we are back to square one.  

;D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Bear Claws are baked not fried, so that would explain that one. The bear claw is a type of danish or coffee cake.

I would imagine that the jelly filled and custard filled donut's have less dough overall, so that they cook more evenly, then a regular donut. The less dough allows for the middle to be filled with the filling.

Pure guess on my part.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweety18 said:
It is a cost saving measure, the donut shop saves about 25% dough by leaving a hole in the middle :)
there is always that answer if you look at it that way

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Bear Claws are baked not fried, so that would explain that one. The bear claw is a type of danish or coffee cake.
THEY ARE BAKED? I am going to start eating them again! I always thought everything was fried in a donut shop. YumNumNumies!

Sailor

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Sailor, they may be baked but they're still made with a lot of fat and sugar!  "Baked not Fried" doesn't automatically mean healthy!  Just look at Cheetos.  :D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Sailor, they may be baked but they're still made with a lot of fat and sugar! "Baked not Fried" doesn't automatically mean healthy! Just look at Cheetos. :D
Exactly. Bear Claws are not good for you even if they are baked not fried.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I love donut holes! That's it, I'm headed to Dunkin' Donuts.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
A little trivia -

In this part of Mexico - a donut is called dona - that's me! 

When I introduce myself I always say "the same as the sweet bread" "mismo que pan dulce" and then they understand my name and don't forget me LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts