Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I publish non-fiction, it takes me between six months and one year to publish a new book because I take great care of the quality of my content. I pay to translate research from Russian, German, Hungarian, etc; to quote them and provide fresh information about the state of the art within my field, nobody else does that.

On the other hand, those who publish books in my field release books of a more neglected quality; books that I could write in less than a month. These books are not necessarily bad, but they dedicate a chapter to something that could be explained in a paragraph, and also there are more opinions than solid foundations and scientific citations.

I would like to try publishing like this, maybe each book sells less, but in a year I can publish 10 instead of one or two, and maybe overall this could be more profitable.

Of course, I do not want this to affect my name or at least the positive association that my name can have with the quality that I offer. Because of this, I think the best way is to use a pseudonym.

The problem is that using a pseudonym causes me a lot of doubts about the final copyright status of my books.

What are the main considerations when using a pseudonym?

Can I use any name?

What if there is another person or author with the same name?

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
463 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by the "final" copyright status--you own the copyright when you publish it.
If you are seriously worried about the copyright, form an LLC NSN Publishing or whatever and put the copyright in that name. Another author using the same name isn't a serious problem, no more than another author with the same real name as you. You could also just use a variation on your real name. Use your middle in place of your given name for instance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean that if the book is not under my name, then it can be difficult to defend it against a possible copyright problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no issue. When you register a copyright, you give your real name and the name under which you are writing.
For these books, I was thinking of publishing them only in KDP (not doing the ISBN request in my country's ISBN office). When it is published in KDP they only ask for the author's name, is it okay to put the pseudonym there? (my real name will not be associated with the book but with my KDP account)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
For these books, I was thinking of publishing them only in KDP (not doing the ISBN request in my country's ISBN office). When it is published in KDP they only ask for the author's name, is it okay to put the pseudonym there? (my real name will not be associated with the book but with my KDP account)
Yes. When filling in your ebook details in your dashboard, use your pseudonym. Your legal name and address are in your account section.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
What is your subject? Nonfiction authors in many spaces bring in a lot of extra cash through speaking arrangements, classes, and other services. If you're in one of those fields, stick with the high quality.

If you're not in a field where you can make extra money from your expertise, and you're not making good money, then, yes, consider changing things up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I write under a pseudonym too and was worried about it from a copyright point of view myself before I published by first book so I looked into it... and the thing is, it only gets complicated if you don't get your copyright registered. So if you don't want things to get complicated, then just get it registered in your name and get it published under your pseudonym.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your subject? Nonfiction authors in many spaces bring in a lot of extra cash through speaking arrangements, classes, and other services. If you're in one of those fields, stick with the high quality.

If you're not in a field where you can make extra money from your expertise, and you're not making good money, then, yes, consider changing things up.
My field is Sports Sciences and my specialization is strength training.

Seminars (one-day speechs) are actually always the main incoming, and books are a wonderful tool for personal positioning for courses and seminars. The issue is that with pandemic the rules of the game change radically.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Could you do something like a "minute guide to ......" in your name? Less detail, more of an overview of a specific topic? That would let you use your research and the cache of the name you've already built in your field. People who don't necessarily want all the specifics, but just a general knowledge base would probably buy something like that.

But if not, then use a pen name, knowing you'll have to build your brand all over again. You'll still be competing with all those other authors, but that's how it goes.

I mean that if the book is not under my name, then it can be difficult to defend it against a possible copyright problem.

No, it won't be. You have to have all this stuff under your real, legal name, with the pen name listed, so you have all the right to defend it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can vouch for other posts above regarding the copyright issue. I write under a pseudonym. The copyright process was pretty straightforward and explicitly allows for use of pen names so that the copyright is protected as-is, but it's kept in your real name in case some issue arises in the future and you need to enforce it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My field is Sports Sciences and my specialization is strength training.

Seminars (one-day speechs) are actually always the main incoming, and books are a wonderful tool for personal positioning for courses and seminars. The issue is that with pandemic the rules of the game change radically.
And just in case you don't get your copyright registered, I'd think that you're still good... because I don't think it is that much of an issue in your specific case, it is more important for fiction writers. But even they can get is registered anytime they want after it is published as long as they are alive! Because if you don't get your work registered copyrighted in your lifetime, then it can become sort of complicated for your estate to try and claim your IP after you're gone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts