Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.  I have been lurking since my chirstmas present was ordered - it should arrive today.  I already knew my first download and read was going to be my next book club book.  I went to book club last night.........eager to find out our next book.  She choose To Kill a Mockingbird.  Are you kidding me??  #1 I have it somewhere on my bookshelf.  #2 Amazon does not have it in Kindle format!!  I know it is a great book, I read it in Jr. High, we may even name our soon to be new puppy Atticus.  But I wanted to read on my new toy!!!

OK.  I will stop whining now, and go find something else to download and read first.  I just was not planning on reading any paper-books for a while. :'(

·
Registered
234 Posts
LOL!  I feel your pain! My KK is named Scout, and was very disappointed to find out that TKAM had not been released in E format as it is one of my favorites.  Unfortunately...not Amazon, from what I understand it is because the heirs to the Digital Rights of the book have not/will not release them for E Format publication.  So...if you find a copy "out there" it's not a legal copy. I have found several, but since they are illegal, I made the choice not to download it.  So I continue to hold onto my DTB until they do.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There are no heirs to the copyright.  Harper Lee is still alive, the copyright still belongs to her.  There's no JD Salinger available in an eformat either.  Nor is there any Harry Potter or, apparently, Lord of the Rings.  And even new books don't always get released in eformats at the same time the dtb gets released.

It's a new paradigm for publishers.  It'll just take some getting used to for them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
There are no heirs to the copyright. Harper Lee is still alive, the copyright still belongs to her. There's no JD Salinger available in an eformat either. Nor is there any Harry Potter or, apparently, Lord of the Rings. And even new books don't always get released in eformats at the same time the dtb gets released.

It's a new paradigm for publishers. It'll just take some getting used to for them.
Jeez!! I've killed her and she's not even dead yet!! My bad!! :-\ Thanks Robin!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
As I have said before, I am sure the publishers are having very delicate conversations with folks like JD Salinger, Harper Lee, and JK Rowling. However, when an author wrote a book on yellow legal pads, you can see (sort of) why they might be hesitant about the idea of ebooks.

But John Grisham came over to our side. There is always hope!

L

·
Registered
137 Posts
Valerie said:
... we may even name our soon to be new puppy Atticus. ...
I considered that name for my dog, too, then settled on Harper instead!

And yeah, I was totally bummed that TKAM hasn't been kindlized yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
There are no heirs to the copyright. Harper Lee is still alive, the copyright still belongs to her. There's no JD Salinger available in an eformat either. Nor is there any Harry Potter or, apparently, Lord of the Rings. And even new books don't always get released in eformats at the same time the dtb gets released.

It's a new paradigm for publishers. It'll just take some getting used to for them.
Well said.

Music publishers have had many years to adjust to digital, and they're only now just beginning to get the right ideas.

It may take a little time, but I'm hopeful that authors and publishers will eventually get the message.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Valerie said:
I went to book club last night.........eager to find out our next book. She choose To Kill a Mockingbird. Are you kidding me?? #1 I have it somewhere on my bookshelf. #2 Amazon does not have it in Kindle format!!
Valerie - I completely feel your pain - had the exact same experience. TKAM - book club selection and I was so excited because i had just received my Kindle and wanted this to be my first Kindle book. Alas . . . not to be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh, that's disappointing!  TKAM and The Catcher in the Rye were both on my "to-order" list.  Another book I wanted to read on Kindle was The Agony and the Ecstasy.... I was sad to discover that's not available either.  They brag about the availability of 240,000 books... but there are some important books missing from that list.  Makes me want to be even more of a Kindle evangelist... I would hope that a huge growth in Kindle ownership would make a big difference in the growth of that book list.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Leslie said:
...I am sure the publishers are having very delicate conversations with folks like JD Salinger, Harper Lee, and JK Rowling. However, when an author wrote a book on yellow legal pads, you can see (sort of) why they might be hesitant about the idea of ebooks.

L
Publishers having a delicate conversation w/ JD Salinger, that is pretty funny. He's awlays had an eye for the ladies however, why doncha take a jog down to Cornish, Leslie, and deploy your charm? If it can work on me, JD's a gonner!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
If I was one of their publishers, I would buy them a Kindle... that might just convince a few of them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Of course, aren't Catcher in the Rye and TKAM both required reading books in high school?  I've noticed a lot of books aimed at teenagers (Twilight aside.) aren't available in a kindle format.  I'm sure the study on that phenomenon, if it's ever done, will be really interesting.  But that may be part of what's driving the decision not to put those particular books in an eformat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Books older than 30 years are no longer covered by copyright laws.  You can find free copies on the net.  Demoniod has it.  If you can't find it PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.  If it is not in the right format use a program called Calibre to convert it to mobi.  I use Calibre for everything, it allows easy organization for your library.  It works with both the Kindle and the Sony reader.

Hope that helps  :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ah, suspectin' shenanigans, eh, Robin? I like a good plot as much as the next fella, and it's an intriguing notion, but what I think we got here is just an old fashioned conspiracy of romantics.

As Leslie(?) implied, writing on legal pads then clacking it out on the Royal remains the proper way books are birthed, with anything else being sacrilegious, though some begrudge the IBM Selectric only a cardinal sin. I still like to write out drafts on legals at my favorite cafe, so I can empathize some.

If ya don't need the money, you can afford the maintenance of an eccentric romance.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ms Deb said:
Books older than 30 years are no longer covered by copyright laws. You can find free copies on the net. Demoniod has it. If you can't find it PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. If it is not in the right format use a program called Calibre to convert it to mobi. I use Calibre for everything, it allows easy organization for your library. It works with both the Kindle and the Sony reader.

Hope that helps :)
This is incorrect. There are many, many books more than 30 years old that are still under copyright by their respective authors and publishers. The books we are discussing here, TKAM and Catcher in the Rye are two prime examples. Copyright law and copyright restrictions are as clear as mud. Suffice it to say, there are lots of illegal ebook copies floating around out there. Demonoid, which you mentioned, does share copyrighted books (and other files) illegally. We do have a rule here at Kindleboards about this sort of thing, which I will re-post here:

- DRM (Digital Rights Management): We do not allow threads or posts that encourage ways to hack, crack, or otherwise get around DRM protections. The term 'DRM' refers to access control technologies used by publishers and copyright holders to limit usage of digital content. Kindle books, e-books in general, purchased music, and other published digital content typically contain DRM controls. It is acceptable to post about DRM in general, e.g. to discuss DRM-related issues and benefits.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation on this issue.

Leslie
Global Mod

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ms Deb said:
Books older than 30 years are no longer covered by copyright laws. You can find free copies on the net. Demoniod has it. If you can't find it PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. If it is not in the right format use a program called Calibre to convert it to mobi. I use Calibre for everything, it allows easy organization for your library. It works with both the Kindle and the Sony reader.

Not true, Ms Deb, Up until recently, renewed copyrights ran an additional 47 years (hence, 75 years total), rounded up to the end of the calendar year. A copyright extension bill signed in 1998 extended copyrights still in force for an additional 20 years. However, since copyrights from 1922 had already expired, anything copyrighted before 1923 is now in the public domain in the United States, even if its copyright was renewed. Copyrights from 1923 to 1963, if not renewed, and not made exempt from the renewal requirement have also expired.

Catcher in the Rye and TKAM, both have had their copyright renewed and are in force. Any digital copies found on the internet are illegal, downloading of them could put you at risk of legal action and the damnation of your immortal soul ;D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ms Deb said:

Plus demonoid is a illegal torrent site. Nothing legal about that site at all!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
Not true, Ms Deb, Up until recently, renewed copyrights ran an additional 47 years (hence, 75 years total), rounded up to the end of the calendar year. A copyright extension bill signed in 1998 extended copyrights still in force for an additional 20 years. However, since copyrights from 1922 had already expired, anything copyrighted before 1923 is now in the public domain in the United States, even if its copyright was renewed. Copyrights from 1923 to 1963, if not renewed, and not made exempt from the renewal requirement have also expired.

Catcher in the Rye and TKAM, both have had their copyright renewed and are in force. Any digital copies found on the internet are illegal, downloading of them could put you at risk of legal action and the damnation of your immortal soul ;D
I thought I remembered from a journalism class in college that a copyright was legally enforcable (enforcible? They both look wrong) for 50 years after the death of the author. But this only applies to works published in America. There might be other outstanding copyright laws in other countries. But, since neither author is dead, and Harper Lee is not particulary old, it could be well more than 60 years before the copyright expires on TKAM.

Ms Deb, were you meaning that books published in 1938 were no longer protected by copyright if the author had died? B/c I think I can see how you would interpret the 50 years that way. But the 50 years only applies to the year the author died. Not the year the book was published. And, TKAM was published in 1960, so it wouldn't fall under that guideline in any case.
But I digress.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am sorry my copyright info is incorrect.  I obviously was given erroneous information.  As for Demoniod, I googled your book for you.  If the site is illegal, why is it operating?  I do not own a copy of "To kill a Mockingbird" so I guess my soul is still my own.  I buy more book than anyone I know, I often buy both hard and electronic copies, so I don't think authors have anything to worry about from me. I was just trying to be helpful.  Sorry if I offended you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts