Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if a kindle 2 would be affected by severe weather temperatures. I'd like to bring mine more places but would have to leave it in my car for long periods of time. And where I live highs can be in the 90s (plus the car is hotter) and the lows about 0 degrees. Could this cause damage?
Thanks for any answers

·
Registered
46 Posts
An excerpt from my Kindle manual

Don't expose your Kindle to extreme heat or cold. For example, don't leave it in the trunk of your car in sub-zero or high-heat conditions.
tmando said:
Hi I was wondering if a kindle 2 would be affected by severe weather temperatures. I'd like to bring mine more places but would have to leave it in my car for long periods of time. And where I live highs can be in the 90s (plus the car is hotter) and the lows about 0 degrees. Could this cause damage?
Thanks for any answers

·
5,979 Posts
The only reference to actual temperatures I can find on Amazon's Kindle help pages are in reference to care of the battery where they say "Your Kindle should be charged only in temperatures that range from 32° to 95° Fahrenheit (0° to 35° Celsius)." Charging and using are two different things, nevertheless I imagine any extremes of temperature outside those quoted would have some impact on your Kindle.

Hopefully some of our members who live in places with extreme temperatures and who use their Kindles regularly can chip in with their actual experiences

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know from experience that the Kindle slows down significantly when it is cold (UK cold weather, 0-5C). The page refreshes are noticeably sluggish. It does recover when it warms up.

As Linjeakel says, I would avoid temperatures outside the Amazon recommended range for charging if at all possible.

If you're leaving the Kindle in your car, give some consideration to where you put it - my car is an MPV which has storage hatches in the floor, these are noticably cooler in warm weather than the inside of the car or the glovebox.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The Kindle User's Guide says:
"Operating temperature — 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C).
Storage temperature — 14°F to 113°F (-10°C to 45°C)."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses. It sounds like I should leave it at home on hot days and not chance it. Thanks to all again

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I live in the desert.......auto interiors, while parked, can get over 160 degrees.  I keep a cooler with "blue ice" covered with towels to put my electronics (Kindle, camera, CD's etc) in while I am off doing chores.  Do not use ice....too much moisture !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts