Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two older sisters that are against any type of sex in the books they read. That eliminates a lot of books since books today do seem to have sex in them.

I don't mind sex in books if it is part of the story. My favorite writer is Larry McMurtry and he includes a lot of sex in his books, but he makes it part of the story and it seems to fit.

I don't care for books though where the main emphasis is on sex, rather than the story line.

So do you mind sex in your books?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't mind it at all, in fact I think too much of our entertainment is sanitized.  I am an adult, I would like to read and watch movies/tv made for adults.

But, I am not one to read erotica.  Too much sex just gets boring.  And the emphasis on BDSM that seems so dominate in some series really bores me. 

·
Registered
924 Posts
I like sex...

When you realize you're skimming those parts, or you start thinking, "This again? Ho hum." then the author has not done his/her job well.

I understand it might be offensive to some and it might be difficult to find stories that don't emphasize it, but they are out there. 

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't mind. I was in elementary when I....stumbled upon my mother's romance novels and since then read a lot of her old romance novels.

I have read Anne Rice's "Claiming of Sleeping Beauty"...wow that was just too much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
  I guess I'm marching to the beat of a different drummer. I don't like it in my books. And the type I read I don't deal with it. The only nudity I want to see is my wifes and if I want to talk or hear about sex I talk to her about it. Our brains are like computers - you put in a corrupted program, it'll eventually crash. I have enough stuff to deal with in life and reading about sex isn't going to help it one bit. 

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I've moved this to the Book Corner as it is, after all, a discussion of books!

My vote is I don't miss it if it's not there, but if it's there I want it to be well written and not gratuitous.  I had to stop reading Laurel Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series as it just became all about the sex....

Betsy

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
KindleChickie said:
I don't mind it at all, in fact I think too much of our entertainment is sanitized. I am an adult, I would like to read and watch movies/tv made for adults.

But, I am not one to read erotica. Too much sex just gets boring. And the emphasis on BDSM that seems so dominate in some series really bores me.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good question!  For me personally I enjoy the sex scenes when it involves characters (or a character) that I "care" about.  Random sex scenes just don't do it for me.  As for too much - well not if it is marketed or advertised in a way that is fairly upfront that it's a highly sexual book.  I really enjoyed Jean Auel's books but finally quit reading them because of the sex scenes.  When you have to skip five pages and you are still reading about his "man tool" ... that's a bit much!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like a little sex in my books. I read and write paranormal romance novels, and they're often heavy on the desire / passion / UST side of things. If I'm reading something that is chocked full of UST, I don't want to get to the point where the characters finally surrender to their desire only to have a door slammed in my face in the form of the end of the chapter.

I think these days it's a fairly accepted norm to have sex in romance novels, and I think it's something that readers expect, and I've seen plenty of readers vent their frustration about the behind closed doors type of author.

I'm not saying that I want to read something purely erotic. What I like in a book is a love scene that is full of passion and emotion, and a deep connection between the hero and heroine. That's the sort of scene that I write in my books. It's not mechanical or over the top. It's just a natural progression in the relationship and part of the story.

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Meh, I can do without it in the books I read, 99.9% seems to be from the woman's POV which does nothing for me ,lol.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't mind it depending on the genre as long as it's written well and doesn't take away from the overall story.  :)  And I like what was said earlier about Lonesome Dove.  That's one of my favorite novels, and I thought the way he wrote about it was hilarious and actually added to the story. 

·
Registered
1 Posts
If a sex scene happens in a book I think it's absolutely fine. If it doesn't and thus isn't part of the story that's fine too.

What bothers me is when it's part of the story and the author shy's away from it. As a show versus tell thing, if the other scenes are showing the action: violence, conversation, intrigue, etc. and all of a sudden it drops to off-screen just for the sake of NOT showing the sex, it makes me feel like the author was taking the easy way out. That drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I often feel that it's just "filler". I feel the same way when I am watching a TV show, the story gets shoved to the side to make room for a sex scene. Of course, a book doesn't have the time constraints of a TV show, in a TV show, a sex scene just means less time for something else. If I want a sex scene, I will read erotica. And in that case, I don't want the story to get in the way too much.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ender Chadwick said:
If a sex scene happens in a book I think it's absolutely fine. If it doesn't and thus isn't part of the story that's fine too.

What bothers me is when it's part of the story and the author shy's away from it. As a show versus tell thing, if the other scenes are showing the action: violence, conversation, intrigue, etc. and all of a sudden it drops to off-screen just for the sake of NOT showing the sex, it makes me feel like the author was taking the easy way out. That drives me nuts.
See I actually don't mind that. Implying that sex was happening is good enough for me, my mind has no problem filling in all the details, lol.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I do not generally read things like erotica (although I have been told I could write it pretty well).  I don't mind sex within a story.  I have never been a particular fan of exploitation and that goes for movies as well as books. 

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been peeved this week about a book I recently bought that's riddled with gratuitous and fairly graphic sex scenes. I'm no prude but as others have pointed out, it's boring and as far as I'm concerned it's nothing but cheesy formula writing.

What really annoyed me was I downloaded a sample of this book and there was not one word of the sex scenes. Bought the book and within a couple of pages, the sex garbage started.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dharts, you should have called Amazon and asked for a refund.  Amazon has a 7 day return policy for any reason so could have gotten a refund and deleted the book.

So any time you don't like a book, regardless of the reason, just call them and ask for a refund.

I have done it for a couple of books and had no problems.  The people I have talked to at Amazon didn't even ask me why I didn't want the book.

Obviously you weren't aware of their return policy.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts