Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I was stoked about breaking 1,000 total sales.

Well here I am even more stoked about breaking the 5,000 sale mark!

First seven month of publishing - 400 total books sold (also not a terrible figure)

Last three months - Over 5,000 books sold!

So if you've just started and you're intimidated by some of the numbers being thrown around, here's my advice -

Don't be. Write the best book you can. Then when you're done, write another one. Make it the best you can do. Then do it again. Eventually you'll have a bunch of great books written and people will buy them. That's all it takes - months and years of blood and sweat!

Thanks to everybody here for all the encouragement! I couldn't have done any of this without the welcoming community I've found here.

·
Registered
438 Posts
John Hartness said:
Write the best book you can. Then when you're done, write another one. Make it the best you can do. Then do it again. Eventually you'll have a bunch of great books written and people will buy them. That's all it takes - months and years of blood and sweat!
That needs to be a plaque on my desk! LOL...thanks for the great upbeat post and congrats!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
John Hartness said:
Not too long ago I was stoked about breaking 1,000 total sales.

Well here I am even more stoked about breaking the 5,000 sale mark!

First seven month of publishing - 400 total books sold (also not a terrible figure)

So if you've just started and you're intimidated by some of the numbers being thrown around, here's my advice -

Don't be. Write the best book you can. Then when you're done, write another one. Make it the best you can do. Then do it again. Eventually you'll have a bunch of great books written and people will buy them. That's all it takes - months and years of blood and sweat!

Thanks to everybody here for all the encouragement! I couldn't have done any of this without the welcoming community I've found here.
Well done!

How does it break down amongst your titles (if you don't mind sharing)?

I ask because I can see that you have two 99 cent titles, two $2.99, a $4.95 and $4.99. Are you seeing fewer sales the higher the price?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
John Hartness said:
Not too long ago I was stoked about breaking 1,000 total sales. Well here I am even more stoked about breaking the 5,000 sale mark!
Great comment. As a writer in the "early days" of an e-book career - (and only selling about 50 copies a month) - your words definitely give me renewed hope.

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the sales breakdown for those who have been curious - and these are all Amazon US sales. My sales in other channels result in negligible numbers, maybe 250 books total on B&N, Apple, Smashwords and live.

The Chosen - stand-alone novel with various prices from .99 to 4.95 (been at 4.95 for a couple months now) - 680 total

Hard Day's Knight - Book 1 of my series - been at .99 since 2/14 - 3,451 total

Back in Black - Book 2 of series, was at 2.99, now at 4.99 - 1,426

All other books (one book of poetry, one poetry & story collection, one short story) - 6

So I'm making about as much off poetry as most poets make in traditional poetry publishing :).

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a wild ride the past couple of months. Let's see what happens in July when Book 3 of my series hits.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wow... another awesome story to hear!  :)

Congrats... I can't wait for the "Shameless Brag Milestone Post!" for the 10,000 sale mark!

-jb 8)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
John Hartness said:
Here's the sales breakdown for those who have been curious - and these are all Amazon US sales. My sales in other channels result in negligible numbers, maybe 250 books total on B&N, Apple, Smashwords and live.

The Chosen - stand-alone novel with various prices from .99 to 4.95 (been at 4.95 for a couple months now) - 680 total

Hard Day's Knight - Book 1 of my series - been at .99 since 2/14 - 3,451 total

Back in Black - Book 2 of series, was at 2.99, now at 4.99 - 1,426

All other books (one book of poetry, one poetry & story collection, one short story) - 6

So I'm making about as much off poetry as most poets make in traditional poetry publishing :).

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a wild ride the past couple of months. Let's see what happens in July when Book 3 of my series hits.
Hey, six poetry sales is better than zero! I have enough poems for a couple of books, but I haven't bothered to pull them together. It seems a bit pointless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.