Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I was stoked about breaking 1,000 total sales.

Well here I am even more stoked about breaking the 5,000 sale mark!

First seven month of publishing - 400 total books sold (also not a terrible figure)

Last three months - Over 5,000 books sold!

So if you've just started and you're intimidated by some of the numbers being thrown around, here's my advice -

Don't be. Write the best book you can. Then when you're done, write another one. Make it the best you can do. Then do it again. Eventually you'll have a bunch of great books written and people will buy them. That's all it takes - months and years of blood and sweat!

Thanks to everybody here for all the encouragement! I couldn't have done any of this without the welcoming community I've found here.

·
Registered
438 Posts
John Hartness said:
Write the best book you can. Then when you're done, write another one. Make it the best you can do. Then do it again. Eventually you'll have a bunch of great books written and people will buy them. That's all it takes - months and years of blood and sweat!
That needs to be a plaque on my desk! LOL...thanks for the great upbeat post and congrats!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
John Hartness said:
Not too long ago I was stoked about breaking 1,000 total sales.

Well here I am even more stoked about breaking the 5,000 sale mark!

First seven month of publishing - 400 total books sold (also not a terrible figure)

So if you've just started and you're intimidated by some of the numbers being thrown around, here's my advice -

Don't be. Write the best book you can. Then when you're done, write another one. Make it the best you can do. Then do it again. Eventually you'll have a bunch of great books written and people will buy them. That's all it takes - months and years of blood and sweat!

Thanks to everybody here for all the encouragement! I couldn't have done any of this without the welcoming community I've found here.
Well done!

How does it break down amongst your titles (if you don't mind sharing)?

I ask because I can see that you have two 99 cent titles, two $2.99, a $4.95 and $4.99. Are you seeing fewer sales the higher the price?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
John Hartness said:
Not too long ago I was stoked about breaking 1,000 total sales. Well here I am even more stoked about breaking the 5,000 sale mark!
Great comment. As a writer in the "early days" of an e-book career - (and only selling about 50 copies a month) - your words definitely give me renewed hope.

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. As my sales have slipped this month and I'm in the middle of the first draft of my newest book and trying to maintain momentum it is nice to get a boost of encouragement.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the sales breakdown for those who have been curious - and these are all Amazon US sales. My sales in other channels result in negligible numbers, maybe 250 books total on B&N, Apple, Smashwords and live.

The Chosen - stand-alone novel with various prices from .99 to 4.95 (been at 4.95 for a couple months now) - 680 total

Hard Day's Knight - Book 1 of my series - been at .99 since 2/14 - 3,451 total

Back in Black - Book 2 of series, was at 2.99, now at 4.99 - 1,426

All other books (one book of poetry, one poetry & story collection, one short story) - 6

So I'm making about as much off poetry as most poets make in traditional poetry publishing :).

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a wild ride the past couple of months. Let's see what happens in July when Book 3 of my series hits.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wow... another awesome story to hear!  :)

Congrats... I can't wait for the "Shameless Brag Milestone Post!" for the 10,000 sale mark!

-jb 8)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That is exponentially Wonderful!  That's a lot of books and cheers to you for planning on 10K!  No doubt in my mind whatsoever that you'll get there.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
John Hartness said:
Here's the sales breakdown for those who have been curious - and these are all Amazon US sales. My sales in other channels result in negligible numbers, maybe 250 books total on B&N, Apple, Smashwords and live.

The Chosen - stand-alone novel with various prices from .99 to 4.95 (been at 4.95 for a couple months now) - 680 total

Hard Day's Knight - Book 1 of my series - been at .99 since 2/14 - 3,451 total

Back in Black - Book 2 of series, was at 2.99, now at 4.99 - 1,426

All other books (one book of poetry, one poetry & story collection, one short story) - 6

So I'm making about as much off poetry as most poets make in traditional poetry publishing :).

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a wild ride the past couple of months. Let's see what happens in July when Book 3 of my series hits.
Hey, six poetry sales is better than zero! I have enough poems for a couple of books, but I haven't bothered to pull them together. It seems a bit pointless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts